QPR expect to win race for Rémy after edging ahead of Newcastle
Tuesday 15 January 2013
Queen's Park Rangers are confident of making Loïc Rémy their first signing of the January transfer window after they matched Newcastle United's offer of £8million for the Marseilles striker.
Manager Harry Redknapp has been given permission to discuss personal terms with Rémy, 26, with QPR now believed to be his preferred destination despite initially refusing to speak to them. Newcastle had agreed to meet Marseilles' valuation for the France international and he held talks with Newcastle manager Pardew and the club director Derek Llambias last week. It is thought that Rangers have offered Rémy a deal worth £80,000 a week, a figure Newcastle cannot match.
On-loan midfielder Joey Barton tweeted yesterday that QPR had stolen ahead in the race for Rémy's signature, while the west London club also hope to complete the signing of his France international team-mate Yann M'Vila from Rennes. "Gift of the gab from Harry Redknapp perhaps? Thought it was done and dusted to Newcastle. Something must of gone amiss. Great news for #QPR," wrote Barton, who is spending the season with Marseilles.
Meanwhile, Newcastle have also been rocked by Hatem Ben Arfa's admission that he would be interested in a summer move to Paris St-Germain. The France international has been sidelined since 10 December as Alan Pardew's side have slipped into a relegation battle.
Liverpool have taken Norway defender Vegard Forren on trial with a view to a £4m transfer from Molde. The 24-year-old was previously linked with a move to Everton.
Belgium midfielder Roland Lamah will become Swansea's first signing of the transfer window today after agreeing terms on an 18-month loan. If successful, the Osasuna player, 25, could join on a permanent £2m transfer.
Latest in Sport
Hector Bellerin: How saying no to Barcelona paid off for Bellerin - and Arsenal
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
'I am the president of everybody': What Sepp Blatter said after winning re-election as Fifa president
Fifa bomb threat: Swiss authorities confirm a bomb threat has been made at the Fifa Congress
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'