Raul Meireles set for Chelsea exit after Fenerbahce reveal talks
Fenerbahce today announced they were in talks to sign Chelsea midfielder Raul Meireles.
The Turkish giants released a statement on their official website, http://www.fenerbahce.org, in which they said they had informed the stock market about negotiations over Meireles.
Fenerbahce would be able to buy the 29-year-old outside the British transfer window because their own country's does not close until midnight on Wednesday.
Chelsea were not immediately available for comment about Fenerbahce's announcement over Meireles, who only moved to Stamford Bridge from Liverpool for a reported £12million on transfer deadline day last year.
Since then, the Portugal international has struggled to hit top form and has been in and out of the starting line-up.
He has long been linked with a move away and there have been reports in the past week that Fenerbahce were preparing an £8million bid for him.
Letting the all-action Meireles go would be risky strategy by Chelsea, whose midfield was completely overrun by Atletico Madrid in Friday night's UEFA Super Cup debacle.
That evening saw them allow Michael Essien to join Real Madrid on a season-long loan, and with Josh McEachran also out on loan, they are arguably short of cover for John Obi Mikel and Frank Lampard in the anchorman positions.
Latest in Sport
by Gareth Purnell
18 May 2013 02:01 AM
by Martin Ayres
16 May 2013 05:10 PM
by Matthew Riding
15 May 2013 02:37 PM
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.