Raul Meireles set for Chelsea exit after Fenerbahce reveal talks
Monday 03 September 2012
Fenerbahce today announced they were in talks to sign Chelsea midfielder Raul Meireles.
The Turkish giants released a statement on their official website, http://www.fenerbahce.org, in which they said they had informed the stock market about negotiations over Meireles.
Fenerbahce would be able to buy the 29-year-old outside the British transfer window because their own country's does not close until midnight on Wednesday.
Chelsea were not immediately available for comment about Fenerbahce's announcement over Meireles, who only moved to Stamford Bridge from Liverpool for a reported £12million on transfer deadline day last year.
Since then, the Portugal international has struggled to hit top form and has been in and out of the starting line-up.
He has long been linked with a move away and there have been reports in the past week that Fenerbahce were preparing an £8million bid for him.
Letting the all-action Meireles go would be risky strategy by Chelsea, whose midfield was completely overrun by Atletico Madrid in Friday night's UEFA Super Cup debacle.
That evening saw them allow Michael Essien to join Real Madrid on a season-long loan, and with Josh McEachran also out on loan, they are arguably short of cover for John Obi Mikel and Frank Lampard in the anchorman positions.
Latest in Sport
Hull v Arsenal: Arsene Wenger admits 'I am not in the best position' as contract uncertainty continues
Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
Secret to Liverpool’s title charge is Brendan Rodgers’ ability to keep changing formation – and Raheem Sterling’s gift of adapting to his manager’s wishes
Steven Gerrard profile: the Lion of Liverpool who embodies fight for Hillsborough justice and is poised to lead his club to a remarkable triumph
Spurs ‘agree deal’ with former Milan manager Massimiliano Allegri
- 1 Pet cat puts three family members in hospital after launching frenzied attack
- 2 Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 Angus Steakhouse: How does tourist staple continue to thrive in today's gourmet market?
- 5 Cover up! Mother told to show less cleavage during Disneyland family trip: 'Are we supposed to wear turtlenecks our whole lives?'
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack