Shane Long to Liverpool; Reds eye move for Inaki Williams; Manchester City to rival Chelsea for John Stones

A round-up of the biggest transfer news and rumours on Saturday 16 January

Liverpool could raid Southampton for yet another player after being linked with a move for their Republic of Ireland striker Shane Long, with the 28-year-old valued around the £8m mark.

The Sun claims that Long has been identified by Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp as a potential January transfer target, with the German considering a move to bring in cover for injured striker Danny Ings who will not play again this season after suffering a serious knee ligament injury in October.

It’s claimed that Klopp is reluctant to rush into any transfer business, but will consider a move for Long due to the continuing injury troubles experienced by Daniel Sturridge and Divock Origi, while he still has reservations over Christian Benteke’s suitability to play his preferred style.

Manchester City are believed to have joined Chelsea in the battle to sign England defender John Stones, with the Blues seeing a summer bid for the 21-year-old rejected by Everton who are determined to hold onto the centre-back.

City, who are likely to have current Bayern Munich head coach Pep Guardiola in charge next season in place of Manuel Pellegrini, are reported by The Guardian to be preparing a squad overhaul that will see both Eliaquim Mangala and Wilfried Bony moved on along with Stones targeted in the summer transfer window.

However, Everton Roberto Martinez continues to stress his desire to keep Stone at Goodison Park, and the Spaniard says the club’s decision not to sell him when Chelsea came calling last summer has helped Stones grow as a player.

The Guardian also claim that Liverpool have joined the race to sign Athletic Bilbao forward Inaki Williams, although they face intense competition for his signature with both Real Madrid and Atletico also linked. The 21-year-old Spaniard has a €20m [£15.3m] release clause in his contract, but with both Madrid clubs facing a Fifa-imposed transfer ban from the summer, the forward could see an offer from both arrive in the next fortnight as Liverpool weigh up making an official bid.

Reported Chelsea target Alexandre Lacazette will not be leaving Lyon this month, but he has cast doubt on his long-term future in France after admitting he is keen on a move to the Premier League.

January Transfer window - completed deals

Speaking to The Telegraph, 24-year-old Lacazette said: "Yes, I am thinking about it and the Premier League is very attractive for a player.” Newcastle are also interested in Lacazette, with the Magpies believed to have had an official offer rejected earlier this month.

Finally, West Ham and Newcastle will look to rival Everton in the race to land Leeds defender Sam Byram, with the 22-year-old facing a Premier League bidding war in the coming days. Championship side Leeds have already accepted an offer from the Toffees, but The Guardian claims that their top flight rivals will try and hijack the move before terms can be agreed for Byram to complete a move to Goodison Park.

Comments