Shanghai Shenhua confident of signing Didier Drogba
Wednesday 23 May 2012
Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua are confident of securing a move for Didier Drogba, who yesterday confirmed he was leaving Chelsea.
The 34-year-old helped the Blues win the Champions League in Munich to bring the curtain down on a trophy-laden spell in west London.
Ivory Coast international Drogba - signed from Marseille for £24million in 2004 - is now expected to join up with former Blues team-mate Nicolas Anelka at the Chinese Super League club on what would be a lucrative free transfer.
Shanghai Shenhua owner Zhu Jun is quoted as saying in the Oriental Sports Daily: "As of now, Shenhua's negotiations with Drogba are continuing just as planned."
Anelka, 33, joined Shenhua in January and is currently player/coach following the recent sacking of former Fulham boss Jean Tigana.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain