Southampton refuse to give up on Victor Wanyama despite failure to agree terms with Celtic player
A fee of £12m has been agreed
Friday 05 July 2013
Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino has not given up on bringing Celtic's Victor Wanyama to St Mary's.
The 22-year-old Kenyan's stock has risen markedly in his two years at Parkhead, leading to talk of a move south of the border.
Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton and Cardiff have all been linked with the Celtic midfielder, but it is Southampton that were given permission to speak to him after a reported £12million bid was accepted.
However, Wanyama has so far failed to agree terms with Saints, leading to suggestions of issues with his representatives.
Pochettino has not yet given up on the deal, though, and is also targeting big-money moves for Internacional's Leandro Damiao and Valencia midfielder Ever Banega.
"It could happen," the Argentinian said of Wanyama. "We have certain positions that we want to reinforce. I'm confident that our goals will be met.
"We manage a lot of information about very good players. One of them is Damiao, also Banega and also Wanyama.
"We are managing the situation as well as we can at the moment.
"The main thing is that we as a club, Southampton, are managing when these negotiations happen so that is what is happening.
"We are managing when these players are going to be signed and how we sign them.
"Our goals are very clear. I am also not trapped by the fact that I said I wanted to have our transfer window closed by July 1.
"We are not interested in 15 or 20 players. We are interested in maybe two or three key players.
"At the same time, I also want to say our squad at the moment is really good and it is not like we are trapped in the sense that we need these players to be a better squad.
"Our squad as it is really good already, but we just want to bring in two or three players that reinforce key areas in the squad to become an even better team."
Pochettino also confirmed that a number of squad players will be leaving the club this summer.
Billy Sharp and Richard Chaplow were amongst those told they had no future at St Mary's, leading them to post tongue-in-cheek messages to each other on Twitter.
"Rchap04 u fancy a game of golf,seen as you have time on your hands," Sharp messaged his team-mate.
Chaplow responded: "billysharp10 can play anytime, morning, day or night 7 days a week? Pick your time, nothing else todo £bored".
Dean Hammond, Tadanari Lee, Lee Barnard and Steve de Ridder were also told they could leave, while several other squad players look set to be on their way out.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Aston Villa preview: I need to prove myself again at Villa, says Scott Sinclair
Transfer news and rumours LIVE: Juan Cuadrado to Chelsea, Cristiano Ronaldo to Manchester City, United want Gareth Bale
Chelsea vs Manchester City player ratings: David Silva saves the day but which City star stole the show at Stamford Bridge?
Arsene Wenger photobombs Arsenal photo shoot - manages to look like famous 'Bigfoot' picture
Kim Sears 'swearing' outburst threatens to overshadow Andy Murray's Australian Open semi-final win
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 4 Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
The open loathing between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu just got worse
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Britain's widening poverty gap should be causing outrage at the start of the election campaign