Sunderland lining up shock move for Samuel Eto'o after striker rejects West Ham move
Eto'o is on the hunt for a new Premier League club following his release by Chelsea
Samuel Eto'o has emerged as a surprise target for Sunderland after the striker rejected West Ham.
The Cameroon hitman is available on a free transfer after being released by Chelsea earlier this summer and is willing to take a significant pay cut to stay in the Premier League, according to reports.
Eto'o's agent Claudio Vigorelli had been in talks with West Ham over a one-year deal with an option for a further year's extension - but the offer did not meet with the former Barcelona striker's acceptance.
Now it seems Gustavo Poyet could move for the four-time African player of the year, who scored nine goals in 21 appearances under Jose Mourinho last season.
Such is Eto'o's desire to stay within the confines of the Premier League that the 33-year-old has declined potentially more lucrative offers from Besiktas and the Middle East. And Sunderland could be the perfect fit, with the Black Cats looking for striking reinforcements whilst their protracted move for Fabio Borini rumbles on.
West Ham have already made a significant outlay on a striker this summer, spending £12 million on the Ecuadorian Enner Valencia - but Sam Allardyce confirmed at the weekend that he was still on the lookout for further signings to bolster his forward line.
Eto'o is looking for a new club after his release by Chelsea
“Valencia needs to do at least three weeks' work before we'd consider him for the first team, so yes I want to sign a new striker," he said on Saturday night after his side's friendly win against Schalke.
“I hope it happens before [the first game of the season against] Tottenham.
“I'm keeping my fingers crossed, everyone is working extremely hard – especially the chairmen.
Read more: 'Desperate' Poyet fears Borini deal dead in the water
Scocco leaves Sunderland for Argentina after eight appearances and no goals
"There has been a lot of talk about Samuel Eto'o. From our point of view the chairman was perhaps looking at a younger player.
"Samuel is still available and we have decided he should be considered at some stage if we're not successful [in signing a younger player].
“Certainly while we've been here [on pre-season duty in Germany] the chairman has made enquiries, whether they can be finalised I won't know until I get back.
“Everyone is working hard to bring in a new face to give us the opportunity to score the goals with the chances we're creating."
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news: Karim Benzema, Edinson Cavani and Gregorz Krychowiak were all linked but Wenger and Gunners fail on deadline day
Arsenal transfer news: Gunners fans devastated as they become only team in top 5 European leagues not to sign outfield player
David De Gea: Manchester United in bitter war of words with Real Madrid over failed transfer
David De Gea, Peter Odemwingie and the 18 weirdest transfer deadline day stories
Anthony Martial fee: 'Add-on' includes Manchester United signing winning the Ballon d'Or
- 2 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 3 The excuses your boss is most likely to believe when you call in sick
- 4 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
- 5 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics