Swansea tell Manchester City to get serious over Scott Sinclair deal
Swansea City last night rejected a bid of £6.2 million from Manchester City for Scott Sinclair. The 23-year-old winger was left out of the Swans squad against West Ham and has told the club he will not sign a new contract.
Reports suggested Swansea had accepted a bid from City, but chairman Huw Jenkins insisted a deal has not been reached. "We haven't agreed any deal with Man City at the moment," he said. "I'd have thought if they really wanted to sign Scott Sinclair they would have dealt with it a little bit better than they have. That's their business. But it has dragged on too long and I hope one way or another it's concluded in the next couple of days."
Joey Barton, the Queen's Park Rangers midfielder, has revealed that his proposed move to Marseilles appears to have fallen through. Barton, who is two games into a 12-match ban for violent conduct after being sent off in the final match of last season, had pinned his hopes on a transfer to Marseilles as a way out of Loftus Road, where he claims that he has been ostracised by both his team-mates and club staff.
Rangers are also keen to see the back of their former captain, but Barton said in a series of tweets: "Doesn't look like this Marseilles thing is gonna happen now. 'Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger' #heartbroken. Why can't things just be simple..."
QPR's determination to rid themselves of Barton will have been strengthened after he once again used Twitter to complain about his working conditions and insinuate that he is being held at the club against his will.
He added: "[I have] been forced to go back training with the kids and fellow Taliban members at 2pm today. Maybe this is time to dumb down and be dishonest. It seems to take you a long way in this game..."
Aston Villa have had a £5.5m bid rejected for Christian Benteke, to the consternation of the Genk striker.
Benteke's agent Eris Kismet denied his player had gone on strike after Genk had refused the move, but said: "Very simply, he wants to go and play in England, in the Premier League. That is his dream. Will they make a new bid? The big issue is how Genk behave."
Nuri Sahin says Liverpool can finish in the top four this season and has not ruled out making his loan move from Real Madrid permanent. The Turkey midfielder, 23, who had also been linked with Arsenal this summer, joined Brendan Rodgers's side on a season-long loan on Saturday. Asked whether the move could be made permanent, he said: "You never know. I am looking forward to playing this season and we will do everything to get into the top four."
Henri Lansbury, the Arsenal midfielder, has signed a four-year deal with Nottingham Forest for an undisclosed fee reputed to be in the region of £1m. Lansbury has been at Arsenal since the age of nine, but spent the last two seasons in the Championship on loan at Norwich City and then West Ham United.
Fulham's hopes of luring the FC Twente defender Douglas to Craven Cottage appear to be over after the Brazilian's agent said his player is happy where he is. "We are with Douglas in Enschede and are not negotiating with Fulham," said Rodrigo da Silveira. "Douglas is very happy at FC Twente and wanted to remain there this season."
The Sunderland manager, Martin O'Neill, says fans will be excited by the club's new signing, winger Adam Johnson. The 25-year-old joined the Black Cats last week from Manchester City for a reported £10m. O'Neill said: "I'm delighted he's chosen us. I'm thrilled for the supporters who now get a chance to be excited by him. He'll be an asset."
Latest in Sport
Liverpool target Marco Reus rejects new Borussia Dortmund contract offer - reports
Arsenal agree new deal with BT Sport - which coincides nicely with advert showing FA Cup win over Liverpool
Divock Origi joins Liverpool before immediately being loaned back to Lille
Scottie dogs in Commonwealth Games opening ceremony 'disrespectful to Muslims', say Malaysian politicians
Arsenal transfer news: Gunners preparing bid for wantaway Shakhtar Donestk midfielder Douglas Costa
- 1 What if 35 Palestinians had died, and 800 Israelis?
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 5 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star dies at age 45 after suffering from cancer
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?