Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas in U-turn over Gareth Bale sale
Welsh winger continues to sparkle for Spurs
Thursday 29 November 2012
The Tottenham Hotspur manager, Andre Villas-Boas, has performed a U-turn over Gareth Bale by insisting that the Wales winger’s long-term future is at the club.
Villas-Boas put a host of European clubs on high alert on Wednesday, after Bale’s man-of-the-match performance had inspired his side to a 2-1 win, by revealing that Tottenham were aware they would have to sell Bale eventually. “We understand a player like this will have propositions, have a market,” he said.
But the Portuguese backtracked yesterday when he said: “Like all of our key players, Gareth is on a long-term contract as we continue to build for the future. We have no intention of letting any of our top players go.”
Latest in Sport
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain