Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas in U-turn over Gareth Bale sale
Welsh winger continues to sparkle for Spurs
Thursday 29 November 2012
The Tottenham Hotspur manager, Andre Villas-Boas, has performed a U-turn over Gareth Bale by insisting that the Wales winger’s long-term future is at the club.
Villas-Boas put a host of European clubs on high alert on Wednesday, after Bale’s man-of-the-match performance had inspired his side to a 2-1 win, by revealing that Tottenham were aware they would have to sell Bale eventually. “We understand a player like this will have propositions, have a market,” he said.
But the Portuguese backtracked yesterday when he said: “Like all of our key players, Gareth is on a long-term contract as we continue to build for the future. We have no intention of letting any of our top players go.”
Latest in Sport
- 1 I was a Woman Against Feminism too
- 2 Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 The Tory donor whose firm is one of Britain’s biggest tax avoiders - with HMRC's blessing
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia