Newcastle manager Alan Pardew expects midfielder Yohan Cabaye to make his first appearance of the season against Fulham on Saturday.
The 27-year-old missed the Magpies' first two Premier League games and Wednesday night's Capital One Cup win over Morecambe amid interest from Arsenal.
But the Gunners are yet to return with a second offer for the Frenchman after their initial approach was rejected out of hand.
Pardew said today: "What I have said to Yohan Cabaye is I expect him to play this weekend.
"Until another bid comes in from Arsenal that is accepted or not that will be the situation."
Arsenal have had a £10million bid for Cabaye turned down, with Newcastle's valuation around double that.
Pardew has so far declined to confirm whether or not Cabaye had refused to play in the opening games of the season in the wake of Arsenal's approach.