Transfer news and speculation, 14 August
Thursday 14 August 2008
The expected loss of Dimitar Berbatov to Manchester United has been slightly softened by Gareth Bale agreeing new terms at Tottenham. Bale's deal until 2012 is thought to have extended his original commitment by a year but crucially it is a fresh contract from the one signed before the start of last season when he arrived from Southampton. The 19-year-old Wales left-back impressed in his rookie campaign in the Premier League before picking up a foot injury in December against Birmingham that sidelined him for the rest of the campaign. He joins Michael Dawson and Jermaine Jenas among the young players to agree new deals this summer. Berbatov has trained in London again but the 27-year-old has been targeted by United and the Spurs coach Juande Ramos will continue his search for strikers when the transfer goes through. Spurs held an interest in the Russia international Andrei Arshavin earlier in the summer and the Zenit St Petersburg forward is keen for a move to White Hart Lane. Interest in Roman Pavlyuchenko, his international team-mate, has cooled. Ramos has also experimented in pre-season with Darren Bent as a lone striker. Ramos also wants a defender and there remains uncertainty whether a deal can be struck for Manchester City's Vedran Corluka.
Barry transfer hopes could be over
Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill must decide whether to play Gareth Barry in the Uefa Cup second qualifying round first leg in Iceland tonight knowing it would almost certainty deliver the final blow to crumbling hopes of an £18m move to Liverpool. Barry came on as a 14th minute substitute against Odense in the previous round and if he keeps his place against FH Hafnarfjordur he would not be eligible to play European football for Liverpool until February. With Nigel Reo-Coker, Stiliyan Petrov, Wayne Routledge and Shaun Maloney all available, O'Neill does not need Barry, but Steve Sidwell is out with a thigh injury and other new signings Carlos Cuellar and Luke Young are ineligible until the next round.
Charlton reel in Shrimper Bailey
Charlton Athletic have completed the signing of the Southend midfielder Nicky Bailey in a deal that could reach £750,000. The 24-year-old midfielder will go straight into Alan Pardew's squad for Saturday's game against Watford. Bailey had been put on the transfer list at Roots Hall following his refusal to sign a new contract. He was the Shrimpers' player of the year last season after scoring 12 goals in 54 games.
Credit crunch hits Pompey transfers
Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie has conceded that Younes Kaboul will be the last of their big-money summer signings, thanks to the global economic downturn. Only Peter Crouch – an £11m signing from Liverpool – and Kaboul – £5m from Spurs – have arrived for major fees. "The credit crunch is there and everybody has been affected by it," Storrie said. "We don't get away just because we are a football club."
Yesterday's completed moves:
Nicky Bailey (Southend Utd) to Charlton Athletic; Undisclosed
Scott Boden (unattached) to Chesterfield; Signed
Lee Martin (Manchester United) to Nottingham Forest; Loan
Donovan Simmonds (Coventry City) to Kilmarnock; Loan
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Chelsea player ratings: Was Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain the star as the Gunners ended their Jose Mourinho hoodoo?
Cristiano Ronaldo buys agent Jorge Mendes a whole Greek island as a wedding present
Manchester United and Adidas branded 'sexist' and 'discriminatory' as women's shirt features plunging neckline and different design
Pedro to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal says £22m winger can turn Manchester United into champions
Michael Owen quickly becomes a top Twitter trend after being widely criticised for 'boring' commentary during Arsenal vs Chelsea
- 1 Katie Hopkins reveals fear she will die during brain surgery to cure epilepsy
- 2 Edward Heath 'child sex abuse' allegation: Investigation to be held into Wiltshire police handling of alleged claim in the 1990s
- 3 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 4 Tom Cruise: Reporters banned from asking actor about Scientology
- 5 Michael B Jordan and Kate Mara handle excruciatingly awkward and offensive interview questions like pros
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison