Transfer news and speculation, 16 May
Friday 16 May 2008
Barcelona midfielder Deco has been given the go-ahead to talk to other clubs after being told he can leave the Catalan club at the end of the season. "We will look for an offer that is good for the club and good for me," the Brazilian-born Portugal international said. "I will go where I want and not where the club tells me. The only thing is that I want to continue playing at the top level. I will almost certainly go to England or Italy. I won't stay in Spain as the only club at the same level as Barcelona is Madrid and I would never go to Madrid." Ronaldinho, Samuel Eto'o, Lilian Thuram, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Thierry Henry are also being linked with moves.
Moreno 'subject of Spurs bid'
The Brazilian club Cruzeiro say they expect Tottenham to make a bid upwards of £6m for the Bolivia striker Marcelo Moreno. Alvimar Perrella, president of Cruzeiro, claims Spurs have had an offer turned down for the 20-year-old, with Shakhtar Donetsk putting in the highest bid so far. Meanwhile, according to reports, the Spurs chairman, Daniel Levy, is preparing to travel to Spain with the aim of signing Samuel Eto'o. The Barcelona striker has indicated a desire to play in England, although Internazionale have reportedly contacted the player's agent.
Clichy near new Arsenal deal
Arsenal defender Gaël Clichy says he is on the brink of signing a new four-year deal.
Clichy has made the left-back role his own following Ashley Cole's departure, and although the 22-year-old, who won a place in the PFA team of the year, has attracted interest from the likes of Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid, he says he wants to remain in north London.
Wigan pair are free to move on
Wigan's Josip Skoko and Salomon Olembe have been released, although manager Steve Bruce has offered Skoko the opportunity to train in pre-season should he not immediately find another club. The Australia international midfielder made 53 appearances, including 45 in the Premier League, after joining in 2005 from the Turkish side Genclerbirligi.
Moyes releases Vidarsson and Gardner in Goodison clear-out
Everton manager David Moyes has brought his list of players released to a dozen. Following the decisions last week not to extend Thomas Gravesen's loan and to give goalkeeper Stefan Wessels a free transfer, defender Anthony Gardner, who has not played a first-team game since his loan from Tottenham in January, will return to north London. Also departing is the Icelandic youngster Bjarni Vidarsson, who has spent the last five months on loan to FC Twente in the Netherlands. Also released is defender Patrick Boyle, who has been on loan at Crewe. A group of youngsters have also not been offered new terms: Shaun Densmore, Steven Morrison, James Hall, Ryan Harpur, Aidan Downes, Stephen Connor and James Jones.
Latest in Sport
Liverpool vs Bolton report: Brilliant Adam Bogdan produces heroics to earn Wanderers a replay
What time is the 2015 WWE Royal Rumble on? And full card
Cristiano Ronaldo vine: Real Madrid forward sent-off for kicking and striking opponent during 2-1 win over Cordoba
Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
Arsenal transfer news and rumours: Gabriel Paulista fee agreed as Gunners make £13.5m bid to sign Villarreal defender - reports
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 Syrian refugee child beaten by Istanbul Burger King manager for eating customer’s leftover food
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens