Transfer news: Arsenal have loan bids rejected for Lille forward Salomon Kalou and Lazio striker Miroslav Klose - reports
Lille turn down short-term term for the Ivorian striker
Friday 31 January 2014
Arsenal have reportedly failed in deadline day season-long loan bids for Lille forward Salomon Kalou and Lazio striker Miroslav Klose.
The Gunners manager Arsene Wenger is a known fan of Kalou, who had six years playing in the Premier League for Chelsea, making 251 appearances for the club and scoring 40 goals.
Klose, on the other is believed to have wanted the move to the Emirates, but his Italian club will not let the German striker move on a temporary basis.
The last gasp bids highlight Wenger's need to strengthen up front, and to ease the burden on the lone target man Olivier Giroud.
One piece of business Arsenal did conclude on deadline day was the loan move for Sweden midfielder Kim Kallstrom.
Who Arsenal have been linked with this window
Latest in Sport
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for auction...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Big Bang Theory to get special Star Wars episode with help from Lucasfilm
- 3 Pharrell Williams 'Happy': British Muslims dance to song in video
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Scientists warn we've hit 'peak beard': The more people grow facial hair, the less attractive it is
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back