Transfer news: Arsenal's Bacary Sagna offered three-year deal by Manchester City - reports
The Frenchman is out of contract at the end of the season
Wednesday 26 March 2014
Manchester City have reportedly offered Arsenal right-back Bacary Sagna a three-year contract.
The 31-year-old's deal at the Emirates expires in the summer and he is still in talks with the north London club over a new contract.
Arsenal have a policy of only giving players over the age of 30 a one-year deal, but manager Arsene Wenger expressed his desire in February that he would love to keep the Frenchman at the club, indicating that he would be offered the longer contract he coveted.
"We are always in negotiations with him and we always try to be fair with our players," Wenger had said. "When I say I expect [him to stay], it's more that I want [him to stay]. I hope that in the end I am right. [But] we are not close at the moment."
Arsenal are reportedly willing to give Sagna a two-year deal, but he knows that a longer contract, on a bigger salary, awaits at Manchester City.
Sagna would join former Gunners' team-mates Gael Clichy and Samir Nasri at the Etihad Stadium.
In addition to City, Sagna has also interested Internazionale, with the club's president Erick Thohir confirming San Siro club's radar as they begin early preparations for next season.
"We're interested in Sagna because we need to balance the team," Thohir was quoted as saying on the club's official website.
"Right now we only have [Yuto] Nagatomo and Jonathan. If one of them gets injured you need somebody else to come in."
Read more: Ramsey suffers fresh injury setback
Wenger concedes title hopes are over
Arsenal 2 Swansea 2 - match report
"If Sagna decided to stay in England, we'd understand and in that case we might bring in a young player from our academy," Thohir added.
The Inter owner ruled out a move for veteran Manchester United defender Patrice Evra, adding: "We've never had any negotiations with Evra".
Inter have already begun preparations for next season following a disappointing campaign.
Walter Mazzarri's side are 31 points adrift of champions-in-waiting Juventus and face a fight just to qualify for the Champions League.
Thohir has previously suggested that a high-profile striker would also be high on the list of priorities, with Chelsea forward Fernando Torres and Manchester City's Edin Dzeko both linked, amongst a host of names.
Thohir did not rule out a move for either, but will talk with his coach before any decision is made.
Read more: Wilshere has not improved since he was 17 - Paul Scholes
Who could replace Wenger?
Arsenal, Everton, Spurs: The key fixtures in the battle for fourth
He added: "What I said is that we need someone up top. The media have written about those players and I mentioned that one of them would be good for Inter.
"It depends on the discussions we have with the coach and the management about how we can be more consistent up front. In the end it depends on the players, the formation and the strategy that we want to use."
Asked if he was happy with Mazzarri, Thohir added: "I don't have any problem with him or with the management.
"When it comes to the end of the season we review everything, for example if our website's not doing well, why that is, how do we improve ticketing and so on. As a businessman I need to review things."
Latest in Sport
William Carvalho to Arsenal? Gunners make new enquiry for £35m rated midfielder
Manchester United transfer news: More signings expected, indicates Ed Woodward
WWE Battleground 2014 results: John Cena and The Miz are the big winners on a night to forget in Tampa, Florida
Liverpool transfer news: Loic Remy, Dejan Lovren and Divock Origi on verge of Anfield moves
Manchester City transfer news: Completed summer deals
- 1 Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
- 2 Saneie Masilela, 9, marries Helen Shabangu, 53 years his senior, for the second time
- 3 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 4 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 5 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains