Transfer news: Cesc Fabregas insists he never had any plans to leave Barcelona despite double bid from Manchester United
United offered £35m for the 26-year-old former Arsenal captain but midfielder confirms he never thought about leaving the club of his dreams
Thursday 05 September 2013
Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas has admitted he would not have moved to Manchester United this summer, even if they offer to triple his wages.
United led a public pursuit of Fabregas that saw two bids – the second worth £35m – that were instantly rejected by the Catalan club. They were believed to have been preparing a third offer when the 26-year-old spoke publicly of his desire to stay at the Nou Camp.
Fabregas clarified that he was happy with the club of his “dreams” having grown up in Barcelona before a move to Arsenal when he was just 16 –years-old, going on to break into the Gunners’ first team and eventually captain Arsene Wenger’s side during a successful eight year spell.
The midfielder has now spoke further on the matter, and claimed that the only thing on his mind was to stay and succeed with his current club.
Speaking to The Sun, Fabregas said: “I would not have moved for double the money. Nor triple. No.
“I've paid out of my pocket to play for Barca. I earned more at Arsenal. There are dreams and this was mine since I was a child.
“United never spoke with me. Obviously when a club wants you they have to do it with the club and they don't necessarily have to speak to the player.
“I always said that I hadn't spoken to anyone - and the only thing in my head was to be a success at Barcelona.”
United struggled during the summer transfer window, although their desire to bring in a central midfielder came to fruition on deadline day with the £27.5m signing of Marouane Fellaini from Moyes’ former club Everton.
The Premier League champions had already lost out to Bayern Munich over the signing Fabregas’ former team-mate Thiago Alcantara, who chose to link up with his old boss Pep Guardiola over a move to England.
The Fellaini deal wrapped up an unusual summer for the Red Devils, with their previous transfer business under Moyes’ predecessor Sir Alex Ferguson never being made as public as it has done this year.
It is something that Fabregas recognised, by he insists he never considered leaving his childhood club.
“The truth is United made official offers and it became known in public,” Fabregas said.
“I know there are other places where they give you more money. But at no time did I think of leaving.”
Moyes could return for either Fabregas or Ander Herrera (above) in the January transfer window
United are said to be keeping an eye on Fabregas’ future, should he fail to make the starting line-up for the key games against Real Madrid in October and the Champions League group matches against AC Milan.
Should he become disgruntled at not being included in the so-called ‘big’ matches, Moyes and chief executive Ed Woodward could make another attempt to sign him in the January transfer window. They could also make a January move for Ander Herrera, despite the failed deadline day offer for the Athletic Bilbao midfielder.
Latest in Sport
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker a doubt for Everton match after suffering muscle injury
Mario Balotelli posts hilarious Beatles picture on Instagram as he awaits Liverpool debut
Arsenal vs Besiktas player ratings: Alexis Sanchez? Jack Wilshere? Mesut Ozil? Who was the star man at the Emirates Stadium?
Champions League draw: Liverpool meet Real Madrid, but should they fear facing the reigning champions?
William Carvalho to Manchester United: Midfielder on the cards for Louis van Gaal after Arturo Vidal doubts grow
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage