Transfer news: Cesc Fabregas will not join Manchester United - at least not this summer - reveals Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger
La Liga champions claim United have accepted defeat in their pursuit of the former Arsenal captain
Monday 05 August 2013
Arsene Wenger has said that his former captain Cesc Fabregas will stay at Barcelona after he was informed that he will remain at the club for at least one more season.
Wenger’s words come as Manchester United continue to struggle in the transfer market, with reports of other targets Gareth Bale heading to Real Madrid and Cristiano Ronaldo signing a new deal with the Spanish club.
Arsenal have a clause in Fabregas’ contract that allows them to speak with the midfielder should they meet the £25m buy-back fee, and Wenger has kept is eye on the 26-year-old should he become available – a situation he said is not plausible at this time.
“I haven't heard that comment [that it is reportedly up to Fabregas if he leaves Barcelona],” said Wenger.
“I haven't read it so I'm always a bit cautious to answer what a manager is supposed to have said.
“What I know is that Fabregas will stay one more year at least in Barcelona, that's the information I have.
“If that changes, I don't know, but I have been told that.”
Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has also confirmed that Fabregas will not be departing the Nou Camp after new manager Gerardo ‘Tata’ Martino mirrored his comments last week.
He claimed that United have now accepted defeat in the hunt for Fabregas, and if true it will be the second Barcelona midfielder that they have failed to sign this summer after Thiago Alcantara preferred a move to Bayern Munich over Old Trafford.
Speaking to Spanish newspaper Sport, Zubizarrata said: “Manchester United are interested in the player, but it's also true that they understand our position of not wanting to sell. They have renounced his signing.
“We aren't going to sell him.”
An official statement on the club’s website also confirmed this, with Zubizarreta speaking in Israel where the club are currently on a pre-season tour.
“He has a contract with us,” it read.
“We count on Cesc. I said that on the day of the presentation of Tito (Vilanova) and also with Tata (new coach Gerardo Martino): He's an extraordinary player who creates and finishes chances. We are delighted with him. He's the number four of Barca.”
Threat of 'catastrophic cascade of collisions' must be averted, warn scientists
Latest in Sport
Robin van Persie: Manchester United may have more joy if striker is dropped by David Moyes
England 29 Wales 18 match report: Stuart Lancaster's men enjoy their day in the sun at expense of weary Wales
Carl Froch v George Groves tickets for Wembley Stadium rematch reportedly sell-out within an hour of going on sale
England 29 Wales 18 player ratings: Who was the star man at Twickenham?
Bayern Munich v Arsenal: Arsene Wenger pleads for 'fair chance' from referee in Champions League tie
- 1 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 2 North Korea elections: Kim Jong-un wins 100% of the vote
- 3 David Cameron resorts to paying for Facebook fans because not enough people like him
- 4 Steve Irwin’s final words: Cameraman present at death opens up about deadly stingray attack for the first time
- 5 Sharknado 2: Former WWE wrestler Kurt Angle to fight second wave of flying sharks
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home