Transfer news: Chelsea midfielder Kevin De Bruyne set for Stamford Bridge exit with fears over his Belgium World Cup hopes
De Bruyne's lack of first team football under Jose Mourinho has led to the Belgian pushing for a Bundesliga return
Chelsea look set to lose Belgian midfielder Kevin De Bruyne after the 22-year-old decided he needs a move away from Stamford Bridge in order to protect his 2014 World Cup chances.
Manager Jose Mourinho had been keen on retaining the services of De Bruyne for the second half of the season, but the Evening Standard have revealed that the Belgian has decided he wants to leave after being afforded just four starts this term.
The midfielder is due to meet his agent in London to talk through a move, having joined the club in 2012. However, he has failed to secure first team football during his time with the Blues, and it was claimed in October that he would give Mourinho until December before making his mind up where his future lies.
De Bruyne has made just two late appearances as a substitute since then and is now looking to move on to protect his dream of playing for Belgium at the World Cup.
A number of clubs are interested in signing the former Genk star on loan but it is believed he favours Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg because of the presence of sporting director Klaus Allofs, who was at Werder Bremen when De Bruyne impressed there last term.
De Bruyne’s likely departure will not improve Mourinho’s mood. The 50-year-old revealed his frustration over the form of Chelsea’s strikers following the disappointing 3-2 defeat on Saturday, but has also been told by the hierarchy he will have to wait until next summer before he can buy a new one.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea in Thailand: Eden Hazard offered 'free hug' as Jose Mourinho meets a familiar face
Heysel disaster 30th anniversary: Liverpool have seen too much tragedy to forget that fateful day in Belgium
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
Fifa bomb threat: Swiss authorities confirm a bomb threat has been made at the Fifa Congress
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'