Transfer news: Chelsea sign Ghana winger Christian Atsu but immediately send him out on loan
Sunday 01 September 2013
Chelsea continue to add to their squad in this transfer window with the purchase of yet another wideman, Ghana winger Christian Atsu.
However the £3.5m signing from Porto will have to wait for his chance in the first team as he is expected to immediately join Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem on a season-long loan.
The 21-year-old, who is capable of playing either on the left wing or as a support striker, has reportedly signed a five-year deal with the Blues.
He was named as Porto's player of the year in 2010/11 and was part of their Primeira Liga-winning side last season.
Atsu has also made 16 appearances for the Ghana national side, scoring three goals.
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014: Football Manager developers predict the team of the tournament - but which England player makes it into the XI?
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Gareth Bale puts five-bedroom Essex mansion up for sale at £2.2m following £86m switch from Tottenham to Real Madrid
Former England captain Mick Mills 'turned a blind eye' to initiation ceremony abuse at Stoke City, which included sexual assault dubbed 'The Glove'
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial