Transfer news: Chelsea sign Ghana winger Christian Atsu but immediately send him out on loan
Sunday 01 September 2013
Chelsea continue to add to their squad in this transfer window with the purchase of yet another wideman, Ghana winger Christian Atsu.
However the £3.5m signing from Porto will have to wait for his chance in the first team as he is expected to immediately join Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem on a season-long loan.
The 21-year-old, who is capable of playing either on the left wing or as a support striker, has reportedly signed a five-year deal with the Blues.
He was named as Porto's player of the year in 2010/11 and was part of their Primeira Liga-winning side last season.
Atsu has also made 16 appearances for the Ghana national side, scoring three goals.
Latest in Sport
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget