Transfer news: Chelsea will delay new bid for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney until next week - reports
Suggestion that a second bid will be held-back due to Rio Ferdinand's testimonial on August 9
Chelsea are reported to be ready to wait until after Wayne Rooney has taken part in Rio Ferdinand’s testimonial next week before they make a move for the Manchester United striker, according to The Times.
The Blues had an initial bid rejected after Jose Mourinho publicly announced his admiration for the England international, but the actual value of the offer is yet to be disclosed with rumours placing it around the £20m mark.
Rooney has been the subject of intense transfer speculation this summer, after he personally informed former boss Sir Alex Ferguson of his intention to leave the club before the final game of last season.
Rooney has since failed to comment throughout the fiasco over his future, although sources close to him claimed he was “angry and confused” over comments made by new manager David Moyes that he would not automatically be first choice.
Moyes has insisted repeatedly though that Rooney will not be leaving Old Trafford, but Chelsea are expected to return with an improved offer as Mourinho looks to bring the 27-year-old to Stamford Bridge.
Sir Bobby Charlton, a Manchester United legend and current director, recently told the media that he expected Rooney to remain at the club and tipped him to go on to beat his own scoring record.
"I still think Wayne Rooney will stay at Manchester United," he said. "Wayne Rooney is a Manchester United player, and I think that he will continue to be a Manchester United player."
Latest in Sport
Manchester United's best XI of the season so far: No place for Angel Di Maria or Juan Mata
Which player sells the most shirts in the Premier League?
WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
Chelsea's best XI of the season so far: Petr Cech has been better than Thibaut Courtois
Chelsea's Eden Hazard, Arsenal's Mesut Ozil and Manchester City's Jesus Navas are the three best attacking midfielders in Europe in 2015
- 1 Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
- 4 A new (old) cure for MRSA? Revolting recipe from the Dark Ages may be key to defeat infection
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans