Transfer news: David Moyes 'confident' of signing the Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini after pulling out of Willian and Mesut Ozil chase
United will focus their transfer attempts on Belgian striker after Toffees boss Roberto Martinez admits they will look at suitable offers made for the Belgian
Saturday 17 August 2013
Manchester United boss David Moyes is growing increasingly confident of signing Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini in a move that would see him follow his former manager to Old Trafford.
Despite a clause in the Belgian’s contract expiring that would have allowed him to move should a club offer £23m, United are still keen on bringing in the 25-year-old to strengthen their midfield having pulled out of the race to sign both Willian and Mesut Ozil.
Roberto Martinez is determined not to lose his star midfielder though, having scored 12 goals last season playing in a role just behind the striker.
“When you are in a strong position financially you will never sell a player for less than the buy-out clause,” claimed Martinez.
“The buy-out clause gives you control as a buyer. We have had no approaches for Marouane Fellaini.
“Just because you have a clause it doesn't mean you are stopped from putting a bid in for less money, that's never been the case. If someone meets the valuation, you haven't got a say as a club. As a manager, that worries you because you don't have a decision to make.
“I don't want to be surprised that I am not losing a player. I think maybe clubs know he is very, very happy at Everton. I think this season, or this window is different in that a World Cup is just around the corner and sometimes players are quite happy not to unsettle their routine.
“The World Cup is a big event and a player wants to carry on with your good routine from a football point of view and make sure you don't gamble on changing that. We want to keep our best players. We want to improve window after window. If you lose players it's harder.”
Having seen Merseyside rivals Liverpool take a tough stance with wantaway striker Luis Suarez in refusing to bow to his desire to leave for Arsenal, Martinez admits that Everton may not be in the same position should a significant offer come in for Fellaini, or any other of their players as United maintain theirinterest in left-back Leighton Baines.
“If there is an offer on the table then we will have to look into it,” amitted Martinez, who remains keen on signing his old Wigan midfielder James McCarthy. “I have always said that as a club you need to be able to cope with any situation. If you lose a player you need to be able to replace him.
“There is never a manager or a player who is bigger than the football club, the recruitment department at Everton and every department at the club is ready to cope with any situation that is thrown at us.”
Everton kick off their Premier League campaign later today against Norwich in what will be Martinez’s first competitive fixture in charge of the Toffees.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Manchester City: With Arsene Wenger missing a number of key players, who could start the Community Shield clash?
Manchester United: Five things we've learned so far about Louis van Gaal, including his ability to accommodate Juan Mata, Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney
Liverpool transfer news: Reds 'in talks' to sign Benfica winger Nicolas Gaitan as summer spending threatens to exceed £100m
Chelsea transfer news: Didier Drogba returns to Stamford Bridge on one-year deal
Arsenal transfer news: David Ospina could become Arsene Wenger's first choice
- 1 Man tweets about bad service, gets kicked off plane, told to delete tweet before re-boarding
- 2 Crash victims in car flattened by shipping container emerge with just minor injuries
- 3 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 Joey Barton and Yossi Benayoun become involved in Twitter row over Israel-Gaza conflict
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains