Transfer news: David Moyes insists yet again that Wayne Rooney will not leave Manchester United in response to Jose Mourinho

The Chelsea boss had said that Rooney can ill-afford to be second choice at United in a World Cup year, but Moyes reiterates he will not be leaving

David Moyes has once again insisted that Wayne Rooney will not be leaving Manchester United in the wake of Jose Mourinho’s latest comments that the England strike can’t afford to be second choice.

Moyes has refuted claims that Rooney will move to Chelsea already, but that has not deterred the Blues boss as he launched an unsuccessful bid for him earlier this week.

Rooney’s future has been the talk of the summer, with sources close to the 27-year-old claiming he is unhappy with Moyes’ words saying that he might not be first choice.

But United manager has again insisted that Rooney will still be at Old Trafford come September 3, the day after the transfer window closes.

"The club's position has not changed," said Moyes, who has had to constantly deny that the former Everton forward will be leaving the club since he took the reins from Sir Alex Ferguson last month.

Moyes had already spoken on his overwhelming feeling of his first experiences as the Red Devils manager, seeing the clubs global support when they visited Thailand and Australia.

"I have been overwhelmed already," Moyes said yesterday.

"We dropped into Thailand on the way to Sydney and everywhere you go with Manchester United, everyone wants to meet the players.

"It is a fantastic football club."

The club are on a pre-season tour of Asia and Australia without Wayne Rooney, who was sent home on the first day of the tour after he suffered a hamstring injury.

Rooney returned to the club’s Carrington training base yesterday for further treatment, but he is yet to speak out on the speculation regarding his future.

Comments