Transfer news: David Moyes reiterates the need to make new signings while questions arise over availability of Real Madrid star Mesut Ozil

The German midfielder has become unsettled at the Santiago Bernabeu and the club may look to offload him for £38m, with Manchester United reported to be interested.
  • @JackdeMenezes

David Moyes has admitted he still wants to add to his Manchester United squad despite finding it difficult to sign his transfer targets so far this summer.

Moyes’ comments come after reports that Real Madrid star Mesut Ozil is set to be made available for £38m having become unsettled at the Santiago Bernabeu.

German newspaper Bild are reporting that the 24-year-old German is worried that his starting place in the Real Madrid side could go to the incoming Gareth Bale, and that in turn could affect his chances of starting for his national side at next year’s World Cup.

New manager Carlo Ancelotti already has the task of working out how to fit Cristiano Ronaldo, Ozil, Luka Modric, Angel Di Maria and new signing Isco into the same side, and that’s without the addition of Bale who looks certain to join.

And Moyes, who is yet to make a significant aligning with the only addition to date being that of young defender Guillermo Varela, has admitted that should the right player become available, he would look to move for them immediately.

"There is a need to do it but there's no pressure to do it," said Moyes.

"It's something we've been talking about it since I took the job on July 1.

"I have an idea of where I'd like to strengthen but we won't do it because people tell us we should be signing players.

"If the right players are available great, but if not the first thing we'll do is encourage our own young players in the squad to do as well as they did last year."

Moyes has remained defiant in that United can compete with the richest clubs in the world for the biggest names, and he has also maintained that there is value in the market should he identify any new targets.

"Yes I do (believe there is value in the market)," said Moyes.

"But we've only targeted certain players. We don't have a big, big list because there are only certain quality players we want to bring in to the club."

Chelsea look certain to sign Brazilian attacking midfielder Willian after Jose Mourinho’s confirmation that the 25-year-old has chosen the Blues over a mover to Tottenham.

Mourinho insists that the signing of Willian is an addition to his pursuit of United striker Wayne Rooney, but it could also pave the way for a Stamford Bridge exit for Juan Mata – twice Chelsea’s player of the year – despite Mourinho’s comments that he wants to keep him.

The Chelsea boss confirmed that some players will have to leave on-loan as he looks to keep his squad trimmed, but should Moyes make the right bid for Mata he could lure the Spaniard to Old Trafford.

The opportunity to sign Ozil though could entice Moyes to make a move for the German, who nearly signed for United under Sir Alex Ferguson before he joined Real in 2010.

Moyes has already seen pursuits for Thiago Alcantara and Cesc Fabregas fail after the former chose to go to Bayern Munich and link up with his former boss Pep Guardiola, and the latter decided his future, in the short-term at least, laid at the Nou Camp.

The former Everton boss has also been rather public in his attempts to sign his former players Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini, although new Toffees manager Roberto Martinez has been very clear in his criticism of Moyes approach.

Both Fellaini and Baines have been subject of an offer from Manchester United



Martinez has one his best to fend off Moyes’ interest, but a £35m double bid could still be launched to test Martinez’s resolve.