Transfer news: David Moyes says Manchester United should know more in 'the next few days' over pursuit of Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas
United manager insists that the club are working hard to bring in new faces despite lack of movement in the transfer window so far
Friday 19 July 2013
Manchester United manager David Moyes has claimed that he should know more on the Cesc Fabregas deal in the next few days as the Premier League champions attempt to wrestle him from Barcelona.
United’s chief executive Ed Woodward returned home three days early from their pre-season tour, admitting that it was due to “urgent transfer business” that he must deal with.
Initial thoughts were that it surrounded the transfer of Wayne Rooney to Chelsea, but it has since emerged that the Red Devils will likely make another bid for Fabregas, after they missed out on their initial target Thiago Alcantara who joined Bayern Munich last week.
Having seen an initial bid of £26m turned down for the 26-year-old, but it is thought the transfer could take a twist in the next few days, according to Moyes.
"I couldn't tell you exactly," said Moyes, when asked what the latest position was on the deal.
"The chief executive is dealing with it. Hopefully know more in the next few days."
United fans are growing a little agitated at their lack of movement in this transfer window, with their only signing so far - Guillermo Varela – likely to head back to South America on loan.
Moyes has been linked with a raid of his former club Everton, with both Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini potential transfer targets. United have already seen a £12m bid for Baines turned down, though they are expected to return with an improved offer.
A £60m move for Gareth Bale re-emerged yesterday, and if the offer is lodged for the Tottenham star, it could pave the way for Rooney’s exit from the club to fund the move.
But despite the lack of progress in the transfer market, Moyes insists that they are working hard to bring in some new faces.
"As far as players we are looking to bring in are concerned, we are working hard to do that," Moyes said.
"We are trying very hard to make some additions.
"Hopefully there will be some good news in the not too distant future."
Should they find a fee that Barcelona deem acceptable for Fabregas, they would expect to face some opposition from Arsenal. The former Gunners captain has a clause in his contract that allows him to speak with the north London club for £25m, though they have failed to show significant interest in the midfielder this summer.
Fabregas has maintained that he wants to stay at Barcelona, but he could be lured away from the La Liga champions with the promise of first-team football – something that he has struggled with in a midfield that contains Andres Iniesta and Xavi.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
Latest in Sport
Ashes 2013/14: England’s Ashes shambles is uglier than ’06 whitewash
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Manchester United 0 Newcastle United 1 match report: David Moyes powerless to prevent dismal defeat
Liverpool 4 West Ham 1 match report: Luis Suarez gives England more to fear
Manchester United 0 Newcastle United 1: Champions haven't got a clue
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant