Transfer news: Everton manager Roberto Martinez claims Manchester United offers for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini are 'getting out of hand'
The champions have already made one 'derisory' bid for the duo and could make another £5m effort to sign the pair
Roberto Martinez has claimed the transfer window is “getting out of hand” in the wake of Manchester United’s late pursuit of Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini and insists that players are being mentally affected by failed offers from other clubs.
United made an official bid for the pair totalling £28m which Everton dismissed as “derisory and insulting”, having made it clear that neither player is for sale as former manager David Moyes attempts to take them with him to Old Trafford.
Moyes is determined to strengthen his squad before the September 2 deadline, and it seems his prime target is to be reunited with the duo, having managed them at Goodison Park for a number of years.
United have struggled in the transfer window so far having failed to sign Barcelona duo Thiago Alcantara and Cesc Fabregas, with the former heading to Bayern Munich instead to link up with former manager Pep Guardiola and the latter choosing to remain at the Nou Camp are admitting he is happy at his “dream club”.
That led chief executive Ed Woodward to make an official approach for the Toffees key players, but they were firmly rebuffed after offering £12m for Baines and £16m for Fellaini.
“It's getting out of hand, it is affecting the minds of the players,” claimed Martinez after reports emerged that United are preparing a £35m return bid.
The Spaniard also praised his current players for the way they have handled the situation, although he made no attempt to hide his attempt to fend of United’s interest.
“They have been very professional,” Martinez said. “I could not be more proud of their professionalism and how they have behaved. They are two great assets and very respectful towards the club.
“They understand that we are right at the start of the season. We want to prepare and be as good as we can on the pitch.
“I have seen a bit of everything (from the chairman). You need to understand that when you make a massive investment in a player and you see them emerge.
“You are going to be angry, disappointed and hurt. They are the emotions. But the chairman has always been in control of the matter.”
Martinez also confirmed that the Toffees have not received another bid from the Premier League champions, and he doesn’t expect to as he focus’ on their Premier League campaign rather than bringing in new players, insisting that they are keen to move on from the saga.
“Everything has been quiet on that front, he admitted. “That is the way we are going to deal with the window. We are trying to focus on ourselves.
“There is no temptation (to sell). We want to keep our best performers and that is where we are. You get into a debate when a club matches the valuation but that has never been the case.
David Moyes is determined to bring in both Baines and Fellaini with a £35m bid imminent
“We want to keep our most important players. It has been well reported (what happened with Baines and Fellaini) and we take it as a football compliment and move on.”
Latest in Sport
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 4 Hip hop is both racial and political, and for Iggy Azalea to suggest otherwise is insulting
- 5 Man hospitalised with pneumonia after downing eggnog at office Christmas party
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Alex Salmond has 'broken his word to the Scottish people' says Scottish Lib Dem leader