Transfer news: Everton on verge of completing deal for Monaco striker Lacina Traore

A work permit for the player has been granted

Everton are hoping to complete the signing of Monaco striker Lacina Traore on Wednesday after their request for a work permit for the player was granted.

A deal has been agreed to sign the Ivory Coast international on loan until the end of the season from the French club, whom he joined from Anzhi Makhachkala earlier in the month.

The Toffees received the paperwork they need to bring the 23-year-old to Goodison Park on Tuesday and will now aim to complete the formalities with Monaco.

"Everton confirm they have been granted a work permit for Lacina Traore," said a spokesman.

"Talks are ongoing with Monaco to secure the 23-year-old's services."

Everton's move for Traore has not gone down well with West Ham manager Sam Allardyce, who came close to sealing a deal for the striker before Roberto Martinez came in.

Allardyce has been trying to strengthen his attacking options in the transfer market and was frustrated at missing out on Traore.

Asked if he is likely to make any signings before next week's match at Chelsea, Allardyce said: "I wouldn't have a clue at the minute.

"Every time I get a new signing somebody else f****** takes him."

Everton, meanwhile, are waiting on an update on Seamus Coleman's hamstring injury after he limped off in Monday's 1-1 draw at Aston Villa, with fears the right-back could be out for a few weeks.

The club are assessing the Republic of Ireland international and a prognosis is expected on Wednesday.

"The next 24 hours are going to be vital to find out how he feels," boss Martinez told evertontv on Tuesday.

"Seamus is a really fit boy so when he got that feeling something was wrong with his hamstring we needed to take that seriously.

"We will find out over the next few hours the extent of the injury."

There is more promising news over midfielder Steven Pienaar's groin problem.

"Steven Pienaar had to come off against Norwich and since then he has been working hard to get back to full fitness and it was a little bit short for Monday," added Martinez.

"We will assess him over the next few days. It shouldn't be a too big a problem in his groin area."

On the upside, Martinez hopes to have Gerard Deulofeu back from a hamstring injury soon. The on-loan Barcelona youngster has been missing since December 14.

"Gerard is progressing really well," he said. "A member of our medical department went over to Barcelona to find out where he is (in terms of fitness).

"It is a bit more complicated injury because it affects the tendon and that can get re-injured very easily.

"We are happy with his progress and he is doing really well and I don't think it will be long before he is back.

"We reassess him every three days. Hopefully he will carry on with no setbacks."