Transfer news: Former Barcelona star Ronaldinho set to sign for Beşiktaş - reports
Brazilian legend improves his chances of making the Brazil squad by securing Turkish move
Tuesday 07 January 2014
Brazilian legend Ronaldinho has signed for Turkish side Beşiktaş in one final roll of the dice to earn himself a place in Luiz Felipe Scolari's Brazilian World Cup squad, according to reports.
Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf report that the 33-year-old's contract could earn the former Barcelona midfielder over £10m spread over two and a half years.
Managed by Slaven Bilić, Beşiktaş are fourth in the Turkish Super Lig but have offered Ronaldinho the perfect platform with which to impress Scolari with just six months to go until Brazil kick-off against Croatia on 12th June.
Should the rumours prove to be true, Ronaldinho will leave Atlético Mineiro on a free transfer after being announced as South America's Best Player of 2013 having scored sixteen times for the Brasileirão side.
Ahmet Kavalci, a member of the Turkish club's board, revealed the two parties were in talks last week.
"With Ronaldinho official transfer talks have begun, the cost will be met through sponsors," he said.
"However, in its current state the problem of the transfer is that the cost has yet to be agreed on."
Last week Ronaldinho's brother Roberto de Assis also admitted that talks had been ongoing with Besiktas for more than a year.
"They [Besiktas] have been in talks with me for more than year," he told Globo Esporte.
"I am here in Europe, but there is no meeting scheduled with anyone."
The two time Ballon D’or winner was then forced to address the media himself, refuting the rumours: "I am not thinking of anything except Atletico Mineiro," he told Superesportes.
Latest in Sport
Liverpool fans applaud Cristiano Ronaldo after master-class for Real Madrid, despite his Manchester United ties
Liverpool vs Real Madrid player ratings: Was Cristiano Ronaldo the star man? And how did Mario Balotelli fare?
Liverpool vs Real Madrid match report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema run Reds ragged at Anfield
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker forced into hospital ahead of Manchester United clash - reports
Mario Balotelli substituted at half-time against Real Madrid: Was shirt swapping the real reason?
- 1 Marijuana use by teenagers does not result in a lower IQ or worse exam results, study finds
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters