Transfer news: Inter Milan confirm they want Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna but Manchester City remain interested
Sagna is out of contract with the Gunners this summer and despite talks over an extension on-going, clubs are beginning to make a move for the Frenchman
Inter Milan have signalled their intention to sign Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna on a free transfer when his current contract expires in the summer, club president Erick Thohir has confirmed.
Inter have already moved to land Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic for no fee as the Serbian will leave Old Trafford at the end of the season in similar circumstances, and it appears the Internazionale recruitment drive is set to continue into the summer.
Sagna has so far failed to agree terms on an extension at the Emirates, with the belief that the Frenchman is looking for a three-year deal as opposed to the two years he has been offered by the Gunners.
It means that clubs are free to discuss a move with the France international as he entered the final six months of his deal in January, and Thohir has revealed that they are awaiting a response from Sagna having made an approach for the right-back.
Thohir told La Gazzetta dello Sport: “I'm not used to making announcements if there is not a signed contract.
“I can only say that we like Sagna and that at this point it all depends on him. If he does not arrive, we will take a younger right-back.”
Arsenal have not called off talks yet, meaning that Sagna could still remain with the club he joined back in 2007, but reports earlier today suggest he will turn down a move to Italy in favour of joining Manchester City.
Sagna’s former team-mates Samir Nasri and Gael Clichy are already at the Etihad, while former striker Emmanuel Adebayor – now of the Gunners fierce rivals Tottenham – also left Arsenal to head to City. Micah Richards has already confirmed he is on the lookout for a move in the summer after a lack of first team action having come through the ranks at the club, and a straight swap could be on the cards should negotiations break down between Sagna and the North London side.
Thohir will also address Inter’s attack and while he ruled out a move for Chelsea striker Samuel Eto’o – another who will become a free agent in the summer – he was less dismissive of moves for either Edin Dzeko, Fernando Torres or Alvaro Morata of Real Madrid.
“Where we will make the most important investment? It will be made in attack or midfield,” Thohir explained. “(A return of) Eto'o? In attack we have [Rodrigo] Palacio, who is over 30 and [Maruo] Icardi who is very young, so the other striker has to be in the middle age.”
When asked about Dzeko, Torres and Morata he replied: “I too hear these names. Maybe one of them will really arrive. But he must respect our salary parameters.”
Latest in Sport
The muddy truth of the Christmas Truce game
Alexis Sanchez video: Turns out the Arsenal forward is brilliant at playing the piano too
Premier League: Chelsea vs West Ham match preview
Sir Alex Ferguson on Jose Mourinho: 'He's good looking, speaks five languages, wins everything - it's unfair'
The best sport selfies of 2014
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 5 Hip hop is both racial and political, and for Iggy Azalea to suggest otherwise is insulting
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food