Transfer news: Jose Mourinho refuses to rule out bringing AC Milan striker Mario Balotelli to Chelsea
Mourinho says 'you never know the future' following reports that Balotelli would pursue a move back to the Premier League with the pair keen to work together again
Thursday 06 March 2014
Jose Mourinho has refused to rule out a move for former Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli following reports that the Italian is unsettled with life at AC Milan.
Balotelli joined the Serie A club in January 2013 after Roberto Mancini decided to cut his losses and sell the 23-year-old, deciding that his liability and temper outweighed his potential of budding into a world class striker.
Recent reports suggest the striker would be in favour of a move back to the Premier League, and while Balotelli is yet to confirm where he sees his future, Mourinho has admitted he’d like to work with him once more having teamed up together at Inter Milan.
“In football you never know the future,” said Mourinho when speaking to Yahoo.
“Balotelli is with a big club at the moment but you never know the future.
“They want to keep the best players and want to keep the best Italian players. But Mario has already been in English football before.
“I'm not going to be manager of Milan or the Italy national team, but he's a good kid and somebody I'd like to work with again.”
Earlier this year, Balotelli revealed that he would love the opportunity to work under Mourinho’s guidance once again, and while they had some issues during the Portuguese’s early days at the San Siro, their relationship soon turned to one of mutual respect and friendship.
“Of course I would like to play under Jose again,” Balotelli said earlier this year.
“In my first days at Inter we had some problems, but then it turned into a mutual respect, and now we have a real friendship.
“It is never boring playing under Jose. When you are in Mourinho's team it is a family and he coaches on the principal that if all is well with the family it doesn't matter what is going on outside the team.”
Mourinho is openly looking for a new striker, having seen his current crop struggle in front of goal in the form of Fernando Torres, Samuel Eto’o and Demba Ba. Recently, the Blues manager was captured revealing his interest in Radamel Falcao in an off-the-record conversation with French TV channel Canal Plus, with the Monaco striker having gained his interest in the past.
Having scored 30 goals in his 80 appearances for City, Balotelli would offer Chelsea an X-factor in front of goal that they currently lack, although his knack for landing himself in trouble saw him feature in the headlines more predominantly than his on-field performances.
Milan landed the Italy international, who will lead the country’s attack in this summer’s World Cup, joined Milan for over £16.4m last year, though Chelsea have more than enough to cover the fee t would require to bring him back to these shores.
Latest in Sport
Cristiano Ronaldo could return against Manchester United - but it won't be like previous reunions
Calum Chambers joins Arsenal: New £16m signing put through Arsenal initiation as he sings The Kooks in front of team-mates
Manchester United transfer news: Mats Hummels, Daley Blind and Thomas Vermaelen on radar as Louis van Gaal reveals he still wants to sign defender
Seydou Keita refuses Pepe handshake before throwing water bottle prior to Roma vs Real Madrid match
New Liverpool signing Dejan Lovren forced to train with the under-21s after US visa mix-up
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'