Transfer news: Juan Mata offered way out of Chelsea by Rafa Benitez and Napoli with £20m bid - reports
The Spain international was visibly frustrated at being taking off in Chelsea's recent victory over Southampton
Friday 03 January 2014
Rafael Benitez is reportedly preparing a bid in excess of £20m for Chelsea’s unsettled playmaker Juan Mata after Jose Mourinho told the Spaniard that he was free to leave during the January transfer window.
Despite being crowned Chelsea’s Player of the Year for the past two seasons, Mata has been cast adrift in Mourinho’s second spell at Stamford Bridge as the Portuguese opts to play Brazilian playmaker Oscar in his place.
Benitez, the Napoli manager and Mourinho’s long-term adversary in the press, has been monitoring the situation closely after forging a friendship with the 25-year-old during the Europa League winning campaign of 2013.
After the Blues eased to a 3-0 victory over Southampton earlier this week, Mourinho revealed that Mata is welcome to leave should a move present itself. Since then, according to reports, the likes of Manchester United, Paris Saint Germain and Juventus have all joined Benitez in considering a move.
After costing Chelsea £26m from Valencia under the reign of Andre-Villas Boas in 2011, Mata is said to be confused by his manager’s claims that his work rate is unsatisfactory. With thirty-two Spanish caps to his name, he is also concerned that the dispute could damage his chances of adding to that tally in Brazil later this year. With uncertainty over his future, Mata's agent recently sought assurances there are no plans currently in place to offload him.
Mourinho, on the other hand, appears to have made his mind up and will be keen to negotiate any offers in order to finance his forays into the market this winter.
Latest in Sport
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Angel Di Maria latest: Manchester United target is Real Madrid's 'best player', says Diego Simeone
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal tried and failed to sign German stars Thomas Muller and Marco Reus this summer
Tracey Emin: My Life In A Column
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
- 4 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 5 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women