Transfer news: Luis Suarez rocks Liverpool with news he will submit a transfer request later this week if they block move to Arsenal
Uruguayan striker has accused the club of going back on their word that he could leave this summer should they fail to qualify for the Champions League
Wednesday 07 August 2013
Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has accused the club of reneging on an agreement in his contract which stated he could leave Anfield this summer if they had not qualified for the Champions League.
The Uruguay international has also said he will submit a written transfer request by the end of the week if the Merseyside outfit continue to block a potential move to Arsenal.
Suarez, in interviews given to the Daily Telegraph and The Guardian, said he believes a clause written into the contract he signed last summer entitles him to a move.
"Last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we failed to qualify for the Champions League the following season I'd be allowed to go," the 26-year-old said.
"I gave absolutely everything last season but it was not enough to give us a top-four finish - now all I want is for Liverpool to honour our agreement."
Liverpool have rejected two bids from Arsenal - of £30m and £40m plus £1 - for Suarez this summer.
Suarez understands the Gunners' unusual second bid of £1 over £40m triggered a release clause, but Liverpool believe they must only inform the player of an offer beyond that mark and negotiate if they wish to sell.
"I don't feel betrayed (by Liverpool) but the club promised me something a year ago just as I promised them that I would stay and try everything possible to get us into the Champions League," he said.
"They gave me their word a year ago and now I want them to honour that.
"And it is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract. I'm not going to another club to hurt Liverpool."
Suarez, who joined Liverpool in a £22.8m deal from Ajax in January 2011 and has scored 51 goals in 96 appearances for the club, claims he is now ready to force the issue.
There had been reports that the player and his advisors were considering Premier League arbitration as a possible way to break the impasse over his situation.
"I have the club's word and we have the written contract and we are happy to take this to the Premier League for them to decide the case but I do not want it to come to that," said the South American, who has not travelled with the Reds squad to Norway for today's friendly against Valerenga due to a foot injury. "We have the backing of the PFA."
He added: "I spoke with (Liverpool manager) Brendan Rodgers several times and he told me, 'stay another season, and you have my word if we don't make it then I will personally make sure that you can leave'."
Latest in Sport
Transfer news and rumours LIVE: Chelsea make £16m bid for Douglas Costa, Fabian Delph to join Liverpool or Spurs, Sergio Ramos latest
What time is the 2015 WWE Royal Rumble on? And full match card
Cristiano Ronaldo vine: Real Madrid forward sent-off for kicking and striking opponent during 2-1 win over Cordoba
Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
Arsenal transfer news and rumours: Gabriel Paulista fee agreed as Gunners make £13.5m bid to sign Villarreal defender - reports
- 1 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 This crazy skiing video will leave you feeling queasy
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens