Transfer news: Manchester City ready to spend £38m today on Eliaquim Mangala in order to beat Manchester United and PSG to Porto defender
The Frenchman has also attracted interest from Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain
Manchester City will seek to avoid an expensive summer transfer battle with a £38m move for Porto defender Eliaquim Mangala before the window closes on Friday night.
City view the prospects of signing the 22-year-old as slim, with so many clubs seeking to secure his services and Manchester United joining Paris Saint-Germain among those who are interested. But both the City manager Manuel Pellegrini and director of football Txiki Begiristain admire Mangala and see him as the partner they need for Vincent Kompany in central defence.
A move for Porto's Brazilian midfielder Fernando is also a possibility, with City having been quoted a fee of €15 million (£12.4m) for a player who has been the subject of offers from Monaco and CSKA Moscow.
Porto's willingness to sell may be a problem as the club are contenders for their domestic title, but a deal could be possible if City are prepared to allow Javi Garcia to move to Porto as part of any agreement for Fernando. It helps City's cause that the midfielder will be out of contract this summer.
Meanwhile, the prospect of Manchester United securing German midfielder Toni Kroos from Bayern Munich is not entirely dead, though it does seem unlikely, with United's manager David Moyes not confident that he will be able to reinforce further in this window.
* Crystal Palace are close to bringing in Blackpool winger Tom Ince on loan until the end of the season. The south London club have held talks with the 22-year-old and after holding a medical expect to finalise the deal today.
Ince has been linked with a number of clubs this month, including Swansea City, Hull City, Sunderland and Monaco, but his long-anticipated switch to the top flight looks to be imminent with Palace.
Latest in Sport
Karim Benzema to Arsenal: Real Madrid striker fuels speculation he will join Gunners with cryptic Instagram post
Chelsea vs Barcelona: what channel is it on and how can I watch it?
Arsenal vs Chelsea: Arsene Wenger hits back over Jose Mourinho's claims 'buying success' ahead of Community Shield
Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool – highest and lowest transfer spenders revealed
Outraged Vietnamese fan burns Manchester City tickets after being snubbed by Raheem Sterling, Samir Nasri and others
- 1 Cecil the lion: Dentist Walter Palmer blames local guides in Zimbabwe for the scandal
- 2 Kate Winslet thanked 'particularly horrible' girl who bullied her at school after Titanic success
- 3 Norwich paedophile ring: Woman at centre of gang who made children 'sexual play things' guilty of 23 offences
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 Walter Palmer: Cecil the lion killer revealed to be American dentist
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband