Transfer news: Manchester United look set to miss out on Real Madrid's Fábio Coentrão once more
After a second bid is rebuffed, United manager Moyes may look elsewhere
Tuesday 07 January 2014
Manchester United manager David Moyes is resigned to failing in a second attempt to prize Fábio Coentrão away from Real Madrid, according to reports.
The embattled United boss has already tried once before to sign the Portuguese left-back, on the final day of the summer transfer window, but was pushed back with just moments to spare.
The Red Devils returned for the Madrid star earlier this month and were confident of wrapping up a deal after personal terms were agreed without a major hiccup.
However, much was the case six months ago, the two clubs have failed to agree a fee.
News broke this morning that Moyes has been given free rein over the club’s transfer dealings with the Old Trafford hierarchy concerned about their chances of qualifying for the Champions League.
Despite admitting that any significant signings in January were ‘doubtful’, the 50-year-old is keen to avoid any rash buys.
"There is an urgency that we would like to bring people in," he said following United's 2-1 home defeat to Swansea City in the FA Cup.
"But are those players available in January?
"So there is no point in me hyping it up because the players we would like to bring in are probably not available in January, not because we don’t want to do it."
Latest in Sport
Morgan Schneiderlin to Manchester United: Saints yet to receive 'serious offer' but midfielder could complete move by end of this week
Sergio Ramos to Manchester United: Real Madrid defender 'wants' Old Trafford switch
Radamel Falcao to Chelsea: Former Manchester United striker 'signs contract' to join Blues and is told to meet up with squad on pre-season tour
Venezuelan TV host gets completely naked while reporting on Copa America win over Colombia
Manchester United transfer news: Javier Hernandez nears exit as Liverpool eye move for striker despite revealing Real Madrid video
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 Why it matters 26 million people have changed their Facebook profile picture to a rainbow flag
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Extend Right To Buy to tenants of private landlords, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn says
David Cameron struck double blow in his hopes to win Britain a new EU deal
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato