Transfer news: Manchester United remain hopeful Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas will have change of heart
David Moyes feels the midfielder could change his mind should he start the new season on the bench
Thursday 15 August 2013
Despite claiming to accept Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas’ decision to stay with Barcelona, reports have emerged that Manchester United will make one last bid to try and lure their main transfer target to Old Trafford.
Fabregas spoke out after United’s interest was made public, saying that he was happy with life at his “dream club” and that rumours that he wanted a Premier League return had been made up.
This led a United spokesman to make a statement which said “We respect Cesc’s decision”, and seemingly end their interest in the former Arsenal captain.
However, the Daily Mail is reporting that David Moyes will consider one final bid of around £32m to try and tempt Barcelona into accepting the offer, especially if Fabregas begins the new La Liga season on the Barcelona bench.
The 26-year-old sprained ankle ligaments that have ruled him out of the season opener against Levante this Sunday, having picked up the injury in a tour match in Malaysia as part of the Catalan’s pre-season preparations.
He is expected to return for next Wednesday’s Spanish Super Cup match against Atletico Madrid, and the La Liga champions face league matches against Malaga and Valencia before the transfer window officially shuts on September 2.
It is these games that Moyes is keeping an eye on, in the hope that Fabregas decides he will not get sufficient first team football ahead of next summer’s World Cup, and with Thiago Alcantara set to be afforded more playing time at Bayern Munich under Pep Guardiola, Fabregas may feel the need to leave to secure regular football.
Fabregas has had to play second fiddle to Spain duo Andres Iniesta and Xavi for both club and country since making his move from Arsenal in 2011, and with Sergio Busquet’s occupying the holding midfielder role, Fabregas will have to impress new manager Gerardo Martino if he is to force his way in as a first team regular.
United have already seen two bids rejected for Farbregas – the second in the region of £31m – and were preparing a third before the midfielder spoke out of his desire to stay at the Nou Camp.
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Latest in Sport
Ian Herbert: Work still to do before this Liverpool can be compared to class of ’08
The worst owner in football? Vincent Tan faces fan backlash as Malky Mackay clings to Cardiff job
Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
Transfer news: Tottenham Hotspur - January transfer targets
Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker ends exit speculation by signing 'long-term' contract
- 1 Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police