Transfer news: Manchester United reported to have made an improved £30m bid for Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas
David Moyes still hopeful of making his first big signing as United try to tempt the Spaniard to Old Trafford
Manchester United have been reported to have made a second bid for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas, thought to be around the £30m mark.
Although United have yet to confirm the bid, they have made no secret of their pursuit of the former Arsenal captain this summer, having confirmed they made a £26m bid last week.
The Premier League champions may face a frustrating wait for e response though, with Barcelona’s main concern finding a replacement for departed manager Tito Vilanova, who was forced to resign on Friday night due to a relapse in his recovery from throat cancer.
The pressure is on new manager David Moyes to make his first meaningful signing, with fans growing restless at the lack of new faces at the club having seen only full-back Guillermo Varela join the club from Uruguayan club Penarol.
One first Moyes was able to get off his back was his maiden victory with the club, as he saw his side beat an Australian League Select in Sydney. Youngster Jesse Lindard and England striker Danny Welbeck scored a brace each, while substitute Robin van Persie made his first appearance this season to score the final goal.
United now head to Japan for the next two games of their pre-season tour, though with chief executive Ed Woodward back in the United Kingdom to conduct “urgent transfer business”, there is expected to be an acceleration in the transfer market.
As well as a £30m bid for Fabregas, Moyes is expected to submit an improved offer for Everton left-back Leighton Baines, having seen a £12m bid turned down. He also missed out on the signing of midfielder Thiago Alcantara, who joined Bayern Munich and prompted United to make a move for Fabregas instead.
27-year-old Fabregas has announced his desire to stay at the Nou Camp, and he sent a message of support to Vilanova through his personal Twitter account, saying: “All the strength for you, Tito. We are all with you, all my support”.
Barcelona president Sandro Rosell announced that he hoped to name their next manager early next week, with former star Luis Enrique currently favourite to take over the role despite having taken over Celta Vigo just last month.
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas has also been linked with the job, though he refused to comment on a move suggesting now is not the time to be talking about such a thing with Vilanova at the forefront of his thoughts.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Manchester United player ratings: Match-winner Eden Hazard leads the way, but Radamel Falcao endures game to forget
Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0: Eight things we learnt as Blues step closer to the Premier League title
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Where are the tickets for the fight?
Chelsea transfer news: Jose Mourinho plays down news signings Nathan and Yoshinori Muto but talks up Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Arsenal transfer news: Mikel Arteta needs 'five minutes' to sign new contract and remain with the Gunners
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate