Transfer news: Manchester United target Marco Reus' release clause not valid until next season - reports
United may have to look elsewhere as news breaks that Rues' clause isn't valid until the summer
Monday 06 January 2014
Manchester United's dwindling hopes of signing Borussia Dortmund star Marco Reus this season appear to have been shattered after it unfolded that his release clause is in fact pre-dated for next summer.
Reports in Germany suggested that United manager David Moyes was unconcerned by Rues' adamance that he had no desire to leave the Champions League finalists.
However, it is now suggested, the £30m clause appears to be invalid until the summer - too late for the former Everton boss to save his first season with the Red Devils.
Speaking after his side's latest defeat at Old Trafford, to Swansea City in the FA Cup third round, Moyes was downbeat about his chances of doing any major business this month.
"There is an urgency that we want to sign players but are the ones we want available in January?" he said.
"I have said before that I will try to bring players in this month," he continued. "But it is doubtful because of the way the window works.
"There is no point me hyping it up, because the ones we want are probably not going to be available. It is that, rather than us not wanting to do it."
Reus had been unequivocal in his dismissal of the rumours, telling BILD: "I have a contract with Borussia Dortmund and I am happy to be here.
"All I can say about is that I am not thinking about a transfer. I am focused on BVB and anything else is something for the future."
As Voltaire once said, “Ice cream is exquisite. What a pity it isn’t illegal”
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal joins Arsenal and Chelsea in the race for Sami Khedira
Mario Balotelli takes 50 per cent pay cut to join Liverpool as Samuel as Eto’o waits in the wings if deal falls through
Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
Click here for the full story." title="When a youngster asked for an autograph outside Manchester City's training ground, Balotelli demanded to know why the boy was playing truant. After the child revealed he was being bullied, Balotelli drove the boy and his mother to the school in question so he could tackle the bully himself. He demanded to see the headmaster to make him aware of the issue and then mediated between the two boys to resolve the problem. A source said: 'Mario feels strongly about bullying.' Click here for the full story." width="88" height="52" />Mario Balotelli: The funniest stories
- 1 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for beauty pageant
- 2 Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 Tim Sherwood column: 'It started as a three-horse race but turned into the Grand National'
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile