Transfer news: Manchester United will hand David Moyes complete control of January transfer funds – reports
United hand Moyes with considerable funds to rectify their fractured season
Tuesday 07 January 2014
Beleaguered Manchester United manager David Moyes has been given free rein over the club’s transfer dealings this month with the Old Trafford hierarchy concerned about their chances of qualifying for the Champions League.
According to The Telegraph, the Red Devils board remain fully supportive of the former Everton manager and will provide him with extensive funds to soften the transition from Sir Alex Ferguson’s twenty-six year reign.
Following an abysmal run of form which has seen United slump to seventh in the Premier League and drop out of the FA Cup in the third round, the Glazer family have taken action and handed the Scot with complete control of the club’s finances.
Despite admitting that any significant signings in January were ‘doubtful’, Moyes will only attempt to sign those who he believes will provide quality service for a number of years.
With some at Old Trafford referring to Moyes being handed a ‘hospital pass’ by his illustrious predecessor, the 50-year-old will tell executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward that he’d like to sign Luke Shaw, Marco Reus, Eliaquim Mangala and Ilkay Gundogan over the next six months.
United chief scout Robbie Cooke has also been sent to Spain to watch Atlético Madrid ace Diego Costa during Los Colchoneros' 1-0 victory over Malaga on Saturday afternoon and will return to Manchester to give Moyes his report this week.
Koke - another player the champions have shown an interest in – scored the game’s only goal.
Costa, who has rejected the chance to play for Brazil at this year’s World Cup, interested Premier League rivals Liverpool six months ago but signed a new contract with a £31.5m release clause.
Also watching Ander Herrera of Athletico Bilbao during the previous weeks, Cooke is one of Moyes’ most trusted allies after joining the Scot from Everton in the summer.
After failing to meet Herrera’s £30m release last year, Moyes is considering returning for the former Spain Under-21 midfielder in the coming weeks.
MORE ON MANCHESTER UNITED...
Latest in Sport
Preston fan who appeared to snatch Jermaine Beckford's shirt from eight-year-old boy identified and says: 'the truth will come out'
England 'favourites' to host 2018 World Cup following Fifa arrests
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
Manchester United season player ratings: Grading Louis van Gaal's entire squad
Psychic penguins have made their pick for Arsenal vs Aston Villa in the FA Cup final...
- 1 UK's biggest male rape charity Survivors UK has state funding slashed to zero despite 120% rise in men reporting sexual violence and seeking help
- 2 'Don't blame all men for rape' campaign backfires spectacularly
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'