Transfer news: Newcastle reopen talks with Lyon over striker Bafetimbi Gomis in late bid to bolster squad
The two clubs were unable to agree a fee earlier this summer
Wednesday 28 August 2013
Newcastle have reopened talks with Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis as they attempt to bolster their squad ahead of the transfer deadline, Press Association Sport understands.
The two parties have resumed discussions which stalled earlier this summer after the clubs had agreed a fee.
The Magpies have to date made only one summer signing with Loic Remy having arrived on a season-long loan deal from QPR, although he is yet to play for the club which initially tried to sign him in January because of a calf injury.
The news comes a day after Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas was quoted as saying the France international had his heart set on a move to Germany.
Newcastle are long-term admirers of the 28-year-old frontman, who has also attracted interest from Marseille, although they have as yet been unable to make a breakthrough in a protracted saga.
Manager Alan Pardew has been desperate to boost his striking resources ever since Demba Ba's departure for Chelsea in January and with Senegal international Papiss Cisse currently becalmed in front of goal, his need is growing by the day.
Remy was a threat for relegated QPR during the second half of last season and Pardew is hopeful he will be involved from the bench in Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash with Fulham.
However, the addition of another goalscorer would significantly strengthen his hand.
Director of football Joe Kinnear vowed to land a striker within days of his appointment and belatedly tied up the Remy deal, but whether or not the club can persuade Gomis that his long-term future is on Tyneside remains to be seen.
The Magpies head for Morecambe in the Capital One Cup second round still not knowing if France midfielder Yohan Cabaye will be on the books when the transfer window closes on Monday.
The 27-year-old will not be involved once again at the Globe Arena after Arsenal tabled a formal bid for him, although the Gunners are yet to return with a second offer after their initial approach was rejected out of hand.
Pardew was diplomatic when asked about the situation, although he knows it will be resolved within days.
He said: "Some of the issues around this situation, I think, best remain private, if I am honest, for now.
"At some point in the future, I think the fans can understand why I want to do that. I hope they do. At the moment, I am keeping some of the issues private."
Latest in Sport
WrestleMania 31: John Cena aims to bring the United States Championship home in rematch with Rusev
WrestleMania 31: What time does it start? Full match card and preview ahead of WWE event
Cricket World Cup 2015 - Nick Knight column: It was all over the moment the cup’s best bowler bowled the best batsman
Sting vs Triple H: NWO, DX and Shawn Michaels return at Wrestlemania 31 as The Game triumphs in flashback to Monday Night Wars
Thierry Henry shows he's still got it with incredible pass against Jamie Carragher's side during Steven Gerrard tribute match
- 1 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 3 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 The Gaza fisherman who built his own reef - and was shot dead there by an Israeli gunboat
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew