We are currently trialling our new-look independent.co.uk website - please send any feedback to beta@independent.co.uk


Transfer news: Pep Guardiola rules out any move to bring Chelsea defender David Luiz to Bayern Munich

Guardiola says there is 'not truth to the speculation' but questions still remain over Barcelona's interest

Pep Guardiola has dismissed rumours that they will bid for Chelsea's David Luiz by saying there is no truth in the claims linking his club with a move.

After conceding four goals to Borussia Dortmund on Saturday in the German Super Cup defeat, reports have speculated that Bayern were interested in signing a new defender, with Luis reported to be his top target.

Guardiola has spoken though to dismiss those reports while at a presentation for the upcoming Audi Cup pre-season tournament in Munich.

"He's not coming to Munich," he said. "We've got four or five central defenders.

"There is no truth to the speculation."

Jerome Boateng and Daniel van Buyten started the match against Dortmund where the latter suffered the embarrassment of scoring an own-goal, but they are expected to be replaced by Dante and Javi Martinez as first choice, with the Spaniard shifting back from midfield after Guardiola signed Thiago Alcantara from Barcelona.

Holger Badstuber could miss the entire season with a knee injury, though if and when he returns, he will provide extra cover for the position, and Guardiola seems to be content with his defensive options at the time being.

Barcelona are believed to be interested in Luiz, after they missed out on their chief target Thiago Silva who signed a new contract with Paris Saint-Germain yesterday.

Reports in Spain suggest new manager Gerardo Martino could move for the Brazilian defender after Carlos Puyol suffered from knee injuries last year and Gerard Pique, Javier Mascherano and Adriano Correia were either injured or suspended throughout the campaign.