Transfer News: Redknapp puts Husinec on trial as Spurs look for defensive reinforcements
Wednesday 18 January 2012
Harry Redknapp, the Tottenham Hotspur manager, has given a trial to Eduard Husinec and watched the Croatian youngster play in a friendly against Celtic yesterday.
Husinec, a 17-year-old central defender, started in the victory over Celtic at Spurs' Chigwell headquarters. He spent time training at Real Madrid last year after starting his playing career at NK Hrvatski Dragovoljac.
Redknapp is looking at his defensive options following injuries to Ledley King and William Gallas, while Michael Dawson has only just returned from the sidelines. A move for Blackburn Rovers winger Junior Hoilett is now said not to be possible before the end of the season.
Queen's Park Rangers have reached an agreement with Sao Paulo over signing Brazilian striker Henrique, subject to a work permit. The 20-year-old spoke to new QPR manager Mark Hughes about joining on a reported 18-month loan deal, including the option of a permanent transfer.
Henrique, the player of the tournament at the Under-20 World Cup last summer, claimed the move is "a fantastic opportunity" but he may struggle to obtain a work permit due to his lack of senior caps.
He said: "I know a lot of clubs are interested in me but, when I spoke to Mark Hughes and QPR, they made me feel very excited about their plans. I want to go to a club with ambition and to play in London would be a fantastic opportunity.
"The manager is known everywhere. He played for great clubs like Manchester United and Barcelona."
Swansea City have dismissed speculation linking Liverpool with a £5m bid for winger Scott Sinclair. The former England Under-21 international is understood to being tracked by the Liverpool manager, Kenny Dalglish. But the Welsh club insist there has been no contract from Anfield regarding the 22-year-old, who scored his sixth Premier League goal in the 3-2 win over Arsenal on Sunday.
Sinclair's Swansea team-mates Joe Allen, Michel Vorm and Nathan Dyer have also been the subject of alleged interest from Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham respectively. A Swansea City spokesman said: "We have had no official enquiries or bids for any Swansea player."
Latest in Sport
Leicester vs Arsenal match preview: Calm Calum can be an Arsenal star for years to come, says Per Mertesacker
Tottenham vs Liverpool preview: Spurs ready to press their case for Reds revenge
Burnley vs Manchester United match report: Louis van Gaal still winless after goalless draw at Turf Moor
Tottenham vs Liverpool match preview: I can get the best out of Mario Balotelli, says Brendan Rodgers
Everton vs Chelsea player ratings: Who was best in the nine-goal thriller at Goodison?
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 It's not just the savagery of Isis that is shocking – its weaponry is too
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward