Transfer news round-up: Suarez saga rages on; Gervinho says goodbye to the Premier League; Capoue to Spurs agreed
We select today's top transfer stories plus bring you a club-by-club guide to the latest rumours
Friday 09 August 2013
The transfer window is open which means it's that time of year when stories of clubs spending ludicrous sums of money on players you've never heard of is par for the course. Here, we take a look at some of today's more intriguing rumours...
Luis Suarez’s week went from bad to worse yesterday as Liverpool’s principal owner dismissed the possibility of the striker leaving for Arsenal as “ludicrous”. Expressing anger at the fact that the details of Suarez’s contract had apparently been leaked to Arsenal, John W Henry has said that Liverpool can’t sell because of a lack of time to find a replacement. Now that Gordon Taylor has confirmed that the 40m clause in the player’s contract does not guarantee a move, options appear to have run out for the Uruguayan, who will now presumably have to decide between an embarrassing climb-down and a season getting to know Conor Coady and Michael Ngoo better than he could ever have anticipated.
New Roma striker Gervinho did not face any similar problems with his departure from Arsenal, who allowed him to leave for £7m, a significant loss on the £10.5 they paid in 2011. It was Gervinho’s performances under Rudi Garcia at Lille that convinced Arsenal to make that move, and he will be hoping to regain some of that form when he rejoins his old boss in Italy.
Étienne Capoue looks set to move to Tottenham after the two club agreed an £8.6m fee. The French defensive midfielder has been stalling a move to Cardiff in the hope that a bigger club would come in for him, and his prayers have been answered by André Villas-Boas. The move might mean an exit for Jake Livermore, who Spurs are apparently willing to let go for a fee of around £8m. Harry Redknapp has already made a bid for another of Tottenham’s obsolete central midfielders, with a bid for Scott Parker rejected yesterday.
Chelsea turned down Barcelona’s £35m bid for David Luiz without hesitation this week, and Jose Mourinho advised them to “go to the second player on their list because they are wasting their time”. To their credit, Barcelona appear to have wasted no time at all in taking the Chelsea manager’s advice, apparently turning their attention back to Liverpool’s Daniel Agger.
Aston Villa are hoping to build on a successful summer so far by signing Nurnburg’s creative midfielder Hiroshi Kiyotake. Their £8.5 bid was rejected, and Paul Lambert must now decide how much he is willing to pay for the talented Japanese international.
Cesc Fabregas is running out of ways to describe how happy he is at Barcelona, with Manchester United continuing to pursue him no matter how many times he explains his contentment with life in Spain.
In this week’s “new Ronaldo” news, both Tottenham and Arsenal are chasing Betis’ young winger Alvaro Vadillo, who will presumably follow the path of most other “new Ronaldos” and sign for Porto or Shakhtar, before moving to the Premier League for a vastly inflated fee in 2015.
Click the links below for the latest transfer rumours and completed deals at your club...
Latest in Sport
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains