Transfer news: Toni Kroos deal looks unlikely as German turns down Manchester United - reports
English champions may have to wait to sign the German star
Friday 31 January 2014
Bayern Munich midfielder Toni Kroos looks set to remain in the Bundesliga despite Manchester United's ambitious attempts to complete a deadline day deal for the £30m-rated German international.
David Moyes was hopeful of securing the shock transfer in time for tonight's 11pm deadline but it now appears more likely that the 24-year-old will leave the European champions in the summer.
The Daily Star suggest that Moyes travelled to Germany to watch Kroos in action last week and was even spotted by spectators in detailed discussions with the player's agent Sascha Breese.
It is now believed, however, that United will be forced to wait until June at the earliest to get their man.
Meanwhile Ashley Young, who scored during the reigning champions' 2-0 victory over Cardiff City, remains adamant that the current side is good enough to qualify for the Champions League.
He said: “We always have that belief. There has never been a time when we don’t believe.
“Even when a lot of people have written us off, they are doing it even now, we never have.
“We look to build on the win over Cardiff and we want to build some momentum going into the last part of the season."
Who have Manchester United been linked with?
Latest in Sport
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations