Transfer news: Valencia announce no deal has been made in Roberto Soldado transfer to Tottenham

Spurs' technical director is pictured with the player's agent but they are yet to meet the £26m valuation for the striker

Valencia president Amadeo Salvo has denied that Tottenham have had a bid accepted for striker Roberto Soldado, insisting that they are yet to meet their £26m valuation.

Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas has been desperate to end his search for a quality goalscorer having seen Jermaine Defoe and Emmanuel Adebayor misfire throughout last season.

Had it not been for Gareth Bale, Spurs would have missed out on fourth place by a lot more than the two points they did in the end, and a consistent striker would have probably got them into the Champions League qualifying positions.

Recently appointed technical director Franco Baldini was pictured with Soldado’s agent in Spain on Monday as he looked to secure the deal to bring the forward to north London, but discussions came to nothing after Spurs were believed to have offered around £18m, with Los Che valuing him closer to £26m.

“There is no deal for Soldado,” Salvo said.

“If Tottenham want to buy him, they have to meet our price and our demands. Soldado is a very important player for us.

“We don’t want to negotiate although Tottenham are within their rights to make us offers.

“We will negotiate until August 3 with clubs who want to pay €30m for the striker.”

The news will come as a blow to Villas-Boas, though he did suggest that a deal hadn't been agreed when he spoke to the press earlier this morning.

“At the moment he’s just one of the players we’re interested in,” said Villas-Boas in a Hong Kong press conference this morning. “We are looking for a striker to strengthen our squad, to give us more strength in depth.

“Soldado is a player we have been following. His career speaks for itself. I think he is a great striker but there isn’t any deal being struck at the moment, just interest and conversations.”

Should a deal eventually go through, Soldado will become the third player to move to White Hart Lane, although the paperwork over the transfer of Nacer Chadli has not yet been completed despite the winger training with the club already.

“We’re only considering selling because his contract is running down and he wants to go," continued Savo.

“If he ends up staying with Valencia, his reputation will not be damaged.”

This follows the acquisition of Paulinho for £17m at the beginning of the transfer window, but Chadli has not yet been cleared to play in their pre-season games in the Barclays Asia Trophy.

“He has passed his medical so he is involved with the team right now,” added Villas-Boas. “Unfortunately he’s not going to be able to play in this tournament but will be involved with the first-team.

“It was important for British teams to get involved in the transfer market a little more aggressively. Manchester City and Chelsea certainly have that depth, we are doing it in a little bit of a different way but I’m extremely happy.”

Soldado began his career with Real Madrid but moved to Getafe in 2008. His good form with the Madrid club earned him the task of replacing David Villa at Valencia in 2010, where he has scored 81 goals in 141 appearances.