Transfer talk: Manchester United £150m raid for Mats Hummels, Kevin Strootman and Nathanial Clyne; Gonzalo Higuian not joining Liverpool

The biggest transfer news and rumours on Friday 16 January

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Louis van Gaal will meet with Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and other members of the club’s board to discuss plans to spend up to £150m in the transfer market.

According to The Mirror, United officials will meet today and sanction a huge transfer budget for Van Gaal to use in 2015, and that could see him launch a January move for Borussia Dortmund defender Mats Hummels. The Dortmund captain is unsettled at the Bundesliga club – who sit second-bottom in the league – and he could also be joined by midfielder Kevin Strootman, although it will take a “huge offer” for Roma to part ways with the 24-year-old.

 

Another player that could be targeted by United is Southampton’s Nathanial Clyne. The England defender has impressed hugely over the last 18 months, leading to a call-up from national team manager Roy Hodgson. It’s reported that United would prefer to land Clyne in the summer, but are keeping an eye on Everton’s Seamus Coleman as a back-up plan.

Coleman’s team-mate at Goodison Park, Kevin Mirallas, has put clubs on alert after postponing contract extension talks until the end of the season, prompting talk that he could choose to leave the club instead. Mirallas currently has 18 months left to run on his contract and Everton would prefer to secure the Belgian’s future sooner rather than later, but fears that he could leave on a free transfer in 2016 could force the Toffees to sell up in the summer, reports The Mirror.

Kevin-Mirallas_1.jpg
Everton could look to sell Kevin Mirallas in the summer

Gonzalo Higuain’s move to the Premier League has been played down by his agent who claims there have been no talks with either Liverpool or Arsenal. The striker’s agent – and brother – Nicolas Higuain says that the Argentinian is happy at Napoli and believes it would be “disrespectful” to the Serie A side to if he were to hold talks behind their backs.

David Moyes has revealed he will not be looking to sign Manchester United winger Adnan Januzaj despite comparing him to the legendary Johan Cruyff. ESPN report that Moyes still holds the Belgian teenager in high esteem, but said of a loan move to Real Sociedad: “I've read about it but I don't know where it has come from. It hasn't come from me.”

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva’s move to Inter Milan appears to be off after The Times reported that Brendan Rodgers will not be selling the Brazilian during the current transfer window. Lucas had been linked with a £7m switch to the Italian side, with former Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini eager to bring in Premier League talent having already signed Lukas Podolski from Arsenal on loan. However, Rodgers confirmed that the 28-year-old will remain at Anfield in a move that is likely to be down to a lack of potential replacements.

Jose-Enrique.jpg
Jose Enrique is a target for Crystal Palace

Finally, Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew has refused to dismiss reports linking the club with moves for Swansea striker Bafetimbi Gomis and Liverpool defender Jose Enrique. Pardew has already moved to bring in Arsenal striker Yaya Sanogo on loan, but he still wants to add another striker to the Eagles ranks, although Gomis could cost around £9m having signed for the Swans on a free transfer in the summer.

Comments