UAE side snub former Manchester United striker Michael Owen
UAE side Al-Shabab have dismissed claims that they are
pursuing Michael Owen, saying that the striker is “on the downhill”.
The 32-year-old was released by Manchester United this month and it was believed his agent was engaged in talks concerning a move to Al-Shabab.
However, club vice-president Khalid Bu Humaid has revealed that although “general talks” took place the UAE outfit had no interest in signing the former England international.
"There have been some talks and his agent is coming to Shabab Club tonight but there is nothing to confirm with regard to him signing or not," Bu Humaid told Gulf News on Tuesday.
"This is a general talk with no obligations. When someone calls us we listen to what they have to say and see what they have to offer.
"But this part of the world is not the market for Michael Owen anymore."
Owen made just one Premier League appearance for Manchester United last season, coming on as a substitute, and Bu Hamaid cited this lack of game time as the main reason his club were not interested.
"Michael Owen is on the downhill right now. He's not one of our options. He's 32 and he only played a handful of matches last season.
"We'll listen to what his agent has to say and report that back to the coach (Marcos Paqueta), who is currently in Brazil."
Latest in Sport
The Prince of Wales Stakes today is regarded by many as the No1 race of the Royal Ascot meeting and ...
by Gareth Purnell
19 June 2013 02:01 AM
Today’s St James Palace looks a cracker and there has been sustained money for Dawn Approach since t...
by Gareth Purnell
18 June 2013 02:01 AM
Newcastle don’t need a football director – they need a new medical team after finishing bottom of the injury league
Newcastle United have shocked their fans by appointing Joe Kinnear as director of football but new f...
by Alex Miller
17 June 2013 04:39 PM
ACT Brumbies v British and Irish Lions - player ratings
Premier League fixture list unveiled: David Moyes and Jose Mourinho on an early collision course
Liverpool expected to complete deal for £6m Spanish winger Luis Alberto in next 48 hours
In pictures: Royal Ascot 2013 - Opening day
Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for further 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf