West Ham consider fresh approach for Shane Long
Tuesday 26 July 2011
West Ham are weighing up a second bid for Reading striker Shane Long, Press Association Sport understands.
The Royals are believed to have turned down an initial offer, thought to total around £7million with add-ons, for the 24-year-old.
Long is in demand this summer after hitting 25 goals last term.
West Ham will face competition with Reading having told him he can join a Barclays Premier League club, if the price is right, after they failed to gain promotion.
Top-flight sides West Brom, Newcastle and Everton have been linked with moves for Long but Hammers boss Sam Allardyce is hoping to persuade the Irishman to stay in the Championship for one more season to spearhead their promotion bid.
West Ham's willingness to spend could also indicate some of their big earners may be on their way out, with Stoke reportedly keen to resurrect their move for Carlton Cole and Scott Parker still a target for Premier League clubs.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture