West Ham transfer news: Hammers interested in Bayer Leverkusen defender Philipp Wollscheid
6ft 4in centre-back has two caps for Germany
Tuesday 26 August 2014
West Ham are chasing a deal for giant Bayer Leverkusen defender Philipp Wollscheid.
The centre-back, 25, has two caps for Germany and started 17 times for Leverkusen last season as they finished fourth in the Bundesliga.
Standing at over 6ft 4in, Wollscheid has been linked with a number of Premier League clubs this summer, including Hull City and Southampton - but those two are now focused on other targets leaving the door open for West Ham.
Hull are set to sign Michael Dawson from Spurs while Southampton want Toby Alderweireld from Spanish champions Atletico Madrid.
Wollscheid was much more of a fixture in the Leverkusen team a season earlier, when he played 31 Bundesliga matches, but was moved down the pecking order after the arrival of Emir Spahic.
Latest in Sport
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year