Wigan hopeful of retaining Charles N'Zogbia
Wigan manager Roberto Martinez accepts his star players are likely to attract more interest in the summer transfer window, but is confident the squad will be stronger in August than it is now.
The Spaniard completed his first piece of business yesterday with the £4million signing of Bolton goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi, the Latics' player of the season after his loan spell in the previous campaign.
However, winger Charles N'Zogbia continues to be linked with a number of clubs - as he has been for the last three windows - while midfielder James McCarthy and striker Hugo Rodallega also have their suitors.
Of that trio the former seems most likely to depart, especially as his transfer to Birmingham 11 months ago floundered at the last minute because of personal terms, while he only also has one year left on his contract.
But despite the reported interest there have been no bids as yet and Martinez is focusing on improving his squad rather than allowing it to be weakened.
His next move into the market is to find a replacement for midfielder Tom Cleverley, who impressed on loan from Manchester United but seems unlikely to return for a second season.
"At the moment it is very straightforward: we are very strong in our squad, we have got very good numbers," said Martinez.
"Ali was our first priority but now Tom Cleverly has gone back to Manchester United that is another position we have to strengthen.
"But even then I feel we have a group of youngsters who will get a chance in pre-season and if they are as strong as I suspect them to be we will have a good squad.
"We've had no offers (for his players) but I am sure there is a lot of interest in our top performers - and rightly so, we will take that as a compliment.
"But we are looking forward to finishing the window in a stronger position than we started and that is why we work so hard behind the scenes to get ready."
Having helped the team stave off the threat of relegation on the final day of the season Al Habsi is keen for the Latics to start building for a better season this time around.
He, like Martinez, is keen to hang on to those team-mates who played a significant part in that survival battle.
"The most important players we have to keep and we have to work hard starting on Thursday (when the club's pre-season begins)," said the 29-year-old Oman international.
"It is going to be a very important season and we have to be ready for that."
Latest in Sport
New day (slowly) rising – As Brasileirão gets underway, Brazilian football stumbles, rather than leaps into the future
The average Serie A crowd last year was 13,000 - comparable to Australia’s A-League.
by James Young
24 May 2013 04:31 PM
Monaco is a street circuit where driver ability is more important than anywhere else and if we take ...
by Gareth Purnell
24 May 2013 02:00 AM
Three weeks ago as I drove off the Eurostar, I remember thinking what a very long time it was until ...
by Martin Ayres
23 May 2013 05:29 PM
Why Manchester City were willing to fork out $500m on stake in MLS
Champions League final: Biggest German invasion since the fifth century as Borussia Dortmund face Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund v Bayern Munich: 50 things you should know about the Champions League final
Champions League final preview: Bayern Munich v Borussia Dortmund
Champions League Final: Can Jürgen Klopp and Borussia Dortmund stop the Bayern Munich machine?
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.