William Carvalho latest: Arsenal and Chelsea chasing Portugal holding midfielder - reports

Sporting Lisbon midfielder reported to be a target of London clubs
  • @Tom_Sheen

William Carvalho is believed to be a target of both Arsenal and Chelsea, but there are several conflicting reports about his current transfer status.

In the Portuguese media this morning reports emerged that Chelsea had made a £35m offer the Sporting Lisbon holding midfielder.

The offer seems unlikely, given Cesc Fabregas arrived for £30m earlier this summer and Nemanja Matic was bought for £21m in January; the pair combined to perfect effect in their first match together against Burnley on Monday night, dominating the Premier League new boys as Chelsea put on a scintillating first-half show.

Sporting Lisbon then denied the rumour, with talkSPORT reporting a club spokesman said: "This news [about Chelsea's offer] is not true. The club have not got any formal offer to our offices for the player."

This afternoon goal.com have reported that Arsenal, who have previously been linked with the 22-year-old, have had a £20m bid rejected.

They report that Sporting Lisbon are holding out for around £28m because of the third-party ownership that means they will only receive about 60 per cent of any deal.

A move to Arsenal seems more likely than one to Chelsea, with Carvalho's versatility - he can play in defence as well as midfield - said to be attractive to Arsene Wenger.

Alternatives for Wenger appear to be Sami Khedira, though his wages have proved obstructive, and perhaps Chieck Tiote. The Gunners are also heavily linked with a move for Greek centre-back Kostas Manolas.

Carvalho has also been linked with Manchester United, but a deal to Old Trafford appears to be off the cards according to the latest reports.