Wolves pounce for £6.5m Fletcher
Friday 04 June 2010
Wolves have completed the signing of Steven Fletcher from Burnley for an undisclosed fee.
The Scotland international scored eight goals in 35 Premier League games for a Clarets side which suffered relegation straight back to the Championship. The 23-year-old has signed a four-year contract, with the option for a fifth. The Wolves chief executive, Jez Moxey, said: "We are delighted to complete the signing of Steven.
"He was one of Mick's main targets for the summer and – just like last season with Kevin Doyle – we registered our interest early and got the deal done."
Fletcher began his career at Hibernian and was once linked with Real Madrid before moving to the English top flight.
Moxey confirmed that the deal equalled Wolves' record transfer fee, believed to be the £6.5m spent to recruit Irish striker Doyle last summer.
Latest in Sport
2014 World Cup draw: Roy Hodgson raises possibility of England switching base away from Rio de Janeiro
Liverpool 5 Norwich 1: Brendan Rodgers takes a swipe at Arsenal by claiming Luis Suarez is now worth '£40m and two pounds'
Transfer news: Manchester United's ambitious transfer plans at risk from possible failure to qualify for Champions League
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Manchester City sign the 'new Lionel Messi' Brahim Abdelkader, and in doing so put one over Barcelona
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen