Yaya Toure transfer latest: Manchester City midfielder blames media for link to PSG – but still refuses to rule out move
The Ivorian has defended himself as exit talk continues
Friday 30 May 2014
Yaya Touré has defended his posturing over his future at Manchester City, declaring that his recent comments about a possible move to Paris Saint-Germain had been taken “out of context”.
Touré had seemingly been seeking a move away from the Etihad when he said it would be “an honour” to play for PSG and admitted that his agent was “hanging on the telephone and he knows what to do”. But yesterday the midfielder told the French radio station RFI that “the media took what I said out of context.
“For the moment, there’s nothing planned,” Touré said. “Too many things have been said that annoyed me. I want to take advantage of this opportunity to put things into context. It’s very important. I simply said that it was nice to be a player who is quite coveted, and it was an honour to play for PSG.”
Touré did not deny he might leave the Premier League champions this summer. Rumours surfaced of a rift with the club after his agent complained about how poorly Touré had been treated by City in marking his birthday.
Liverpool are reported to have firmed up their interest in the Seville left-back Alberto Moreno with a £16m offer. The deal would include Liverpool’s Spanish midfielder Suso going to the Spanish club on loan.
The 21-year-old defender had an impressive season with the Europa League winners and was included in Spain’s preliminary 30-man squad for the World Cup.
Liverpool are reported to have made a £16m offer for the Seville leftback Alberto Moreno (Getty Images)
The Liverpool manager, Brendan Rodgers, has also been linked with goalkeeper Michel Vorm, whom he managed when he was in charge at Swansea. That move became more likely yesterday after the Welsh club announced the signing of Arsenal goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianksi.
The Poland international, 29, was out of contract at Arsenal after seven seasons spent mainly as an understudy, and has agreed a four-year deal with Swansea, where he hopes to become the first choice.
“It was an easy decision to make to join the club,” he said yesterday. “If I’m completely honest, the main reason I came to Swansea was because I want to be the No 1 goalkeeper. I want to play week in, week out.”
Another Arsenal player whose current deal has run out is the right-back Bacary Sagna, who has told the French newspaper L’Equipe that he is definitely leaving, having rejected a new deal.
The 31-year-old defender said: “It’s not longer a secret, I will leave Arsenal for sure. They tried to make an effort but the discussions have not gone as I wished.” Sagna refused to comment on which club he might sign for.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs West Brom: Jose Mourinho says Diego Costa is ready for ‘marathon’ Christmas
Arsenal vs Manchester United: Arsene Wenger insists clash at the Emirates Stadium remains battle of the giants
Cesc Fabregas, Jack Wilshere, Yaya Toure or Steven Gerrard? No, it's Mile Jedinak who is the best midfielder in the Premier League
WWE Survivor Series 2014: Start time and full match card
Manchester United transfer news: Robin van Persie could leave this summer with Edinson Cavani and Thomas Muller on United wish-list
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 Iggy Azalea responds to Eminem rape lyrics: 'I'm bored of old men threatening young women'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Winnie the Pooh banned from Polish playground for being 'inappropriate hermaphrodite'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Muslims pre-date Columbus in discovering America,' says Turkish president Erdogan
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Former Tory PM Sir John Major says 'we would not have an NHS without migrants'