Africa Cup of Nations: Reports and fixtures
Friday 22 January 2010
Zambia weathered a late rally to reach the quarter-finals for the first time in 14 years after securing top spot in Group D.
The Copper Bullets, who will face Nigeria in the last eight, finished in a three-way tie in the group but came out on top on goals scored. They were level on points and goal difference with Cameroon and Gabon but in a mini-league between the trio had scored four to Cameroon's three and Gabon's two.
Rainford Kalaba and a James Chamanga tap-in put Zambia 2-0 up before a goal seven minutes from time by Fabrice do Marcelino set up a tense finish. In the other match, Cameroon twice came from behind to confirm their last-eight place.
Sunday Angola v Ghana, Ivory Coast v Algeria
Monday Egypt v Cameroon, Zambia v Nigeria
Latest in Sport
Commonwealth Games 2014: It ain’t London 2012, but Glasgow aims to go ‘with a roar’
Loic Remy to Liverpool: Striker undergoes medical in Boston ahead of £8.5m move
Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
CM Punk 'never ever ever' returning to WWE (so he probably will)
James Rodriguez joins Real Madrid: World Cup top scorer completes £63m move
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media